Tarih Podcast'leri

Gallienus Kemeri - Antik Roma Canlı

Gallienus Kemeri - Antik Roma Canlı

>

Esquilino tepesinde bulunan Gallienus Kemeri, aslında, Servian duvarının bir parçası olarak sözleşmeli bir Augustan üçlü kapısıdır. Üçüncü yüzyılda, imparator Gallienus (MS 253-268) yayılan bir villa kompleksi inşa ettiğinde, kemer, bugün kubbeli bir salon olan Minvera Medica Tapınağı tarafından vurgulanan, Terrance mülkünün kısa bir parçası olarak hizmet etti. yemek için. Bugün geriye sadece Gallienus yazıtlı tek merkezi kemer kalmıştır. Diğerleri, bitişik S. Vito Kilisesi de dahil olmak üzere Hıristiyan dönemi binası tarafından tahrip edilmiştir. Altından geçen yol, antik Clivus Suburanus olan Via San Vito'dur.


Roma Jeolojisi

Roma'nın jeolojisi, Roma'nın tarihi, gelişimi ve korunmasında çok önemli bir role sahiptir. Kentin yapısını, tüflerini ve su kaynaklarını ve Roma kentsel gelişimi üzerindeki etkisini anlamak önemlidir.

Tüfler, 600.000-300.000 yıl önce Monti Sabatini volkanik alanlarından gelen volkanik piroklastik akıntılardan ve Roma'dan yaklaşık 30 km uzaklıktaki Castelli Romani'den oluşmalarından dolayı yerel olarak mevcuttur.

Ünlü yedi tepeyi oluşturan bu tüfleri ilk olarak Romalılar yerel olarak çıkarmışlardır.

Roma gücü genişledikçe daha iyi tüf nitelikleri aradılar. Ünlü olarak, MÖ 396'da en güneydeki Etrüsk şehri Veii'yi yok ettikten sonra “grotta oscura” tüfünü sömürdüler.

MÖ 2. yüzyılda Roma, Tibur (modern Tivoli) taş ocaklarından çıkan sert beyaz bir kireçtaşı olan traverten kullanmaya başladı. Malzemeyi Tiber Nehri'nin bir kolu olan yerel Anio nehrinde teknelere yükledikleri için nakliye çok uygun maliyetliydi.

Mermer daha sonra, Yunan topraklarının ve onların ünlü ocaklarının fethiyle geldi. İlk mermer tapınak MÖ 2. yüzyılın ortalarına tarihlenmektedir. Julius Caesar, Toskana'daki Carrara mermer ocaklarını açtı ve gerçek renkli mermer seli, MS 2. yüzyıl boyunca Augustus'un altına geldi.

Roma'nın Yedi Tepesi: Ebedi Şehrin Jeolojik Turu , Heiken, Funicello, de Rita (Princeton, 2005).


Antik Roma'da Plebler

Plebler, Antik Roma'nın işçi sınıfıydı. Genellikle insulae denilen üç veya dört katlı apartmanlarda yaşıyorlardı. İki ailenin tek bir odayı paylaşmak zorunda kalacağı insulalar genellikle kalabalıktı. Dairelerde banyo yoktu, bu nedenle genellikle bir tencere kullanıldı. Tencere pencereden sokaklara boşaltılacak ve dairelerin çevresinde çok sağlıksız ve kötü kokulu koşullar yaratacaktı. Daireler ahşaptan yapılmıştı ve çoğu zaman kötü inşa edilmişti. Bir binanın çökmesi veya yanması duyulmamış bir şey değildi. Asilzade hanelerdeki köleler, genellikle pleb apartmanlarında bulunandan daha iyi koşullarda yaşadılar.

Pleb çocukları ebeveynlerinin kariyerini takip edeceklerdi. Okul eğitimi, eğer varsa, okuma, yazma ve temel matematik işlemlerini öğrenmeleri için genellikle sadece birkaç yıldı. Pleb çocukların genellikle yatakları yoktu, ancak varsa, genellikle dairelerinde başkalarıyla paylaşmak zorunda kaldılar. Dairelerde genellikle mutfak yoktu, bu yüzden aileler yiyecekleri yerel restoran veya barlardan alırlardı. Bu insanlar için yemekler kaba ekmek, fasulye veya bezelye çorbası ve biraz yulaf lapasından oluşuyordu. Ayda bir kez yemeklerine kavrulmuş tavuk veya tavşan eklemeleri bir zevkti (Williams 2003, s. 21).


Mussolini'nin Roma'daki Mimari Mirası

Roma, çoğu tahmine göre 2800 yaşın üzerinde çok eski bir şehirdir. MÖ 8. yüzyıldan 21. yüzyıla bir günlük yürüyüşle kelimenin tam anlamıyla dolaşabilirsiniz.

Roma'nın mimari tarzları, şehrin kendisi kadar ebedidir. Klasik şehir daha çok MÖ 1. yy ile MS 4. yy arasında inşa edilmiştir. Hıristiyan kenti (Bizans, Ortaçağ, Rönesans ve Barok dönemleri) 4. yüzyıldan 18. yüzyıla kadar uzanır.

Benito Mussolini inşa etmek istedi 'la Terza Roma', Üçüncü Roma, büyük bir şehrin yeniden doğuşu ve modern zamanlar için bir İtalyan İmparatorluğu.

1922'de İtalya Başbakanı olduğunda 39 yaşındaydı. Roma İmparatorluğu'nun eski ihtişamını yeniden kurma arzusu, ütopik bir sosyalist eşitlik rüyası olarak başlamış olabilir, ancak kısa süre sonra, otokratik bir totaliter imparatorluğun kabusuna dönüştü. . Mussolini oldu Il Duce, eski Roma başlığından türetilen bir terim Dux (Önder).

1934 yılında projenin tamamlanmasıyla Via dei Fori ImperialiRoma İmparatorlarının antik İmparatorluk forumlarını ikiye bölen cadde Mussolini, MS 4. yüzyıl Maxentius Bazilikası'nın dış duvarına 5 mermer ve bronz harita yerleştirdi.

Kadınlar için Roma- NJ Koleji'nin Bronz ve Mermer Haritaları 1936

Haritaların dördü hala orada.

1. harita, MÖ 760'ta Roma'nın doğuşunu işaret ediyordu.

2. harita, MÖ 146'daki Pön Savaşları'ndan sonra daha büyük bir Roma'yı gösteriyordu.

3. harita, İmparator Augustus'un altında 14AD'nin genişlemiş imparatorluğunu gösterdi.

4. harita, Roma'yı 3. yüzyılda İmparator Trajan yönetimindeki İmparatorluğun en geniş sınırlarına çıkardı.

Beşinci harita, Mussolini'nin Arnavutluk, Hırvatistan, Balkanlar, Fransa'nın Korsika ve Nice, Yunanistan ve Tunus, Libya ve Mısır'dan Sudan'dan Etiyopya ve Somali'ye kadar doğu Afrika'yı içeren yeni Roma İmparatorluğu vizyonuydu.

1934'te tüm Libya'yı (bölgenin İtalyan işgali 1911'de başlamasına rağmen), Etiyopya'yı (1936) ve Arnavutluk'u (1939) fethetti, ancak gerisi asla olmadı.

5. harita savaştan sonra hasar gördü ve bir süre ortadan kayboldu. 2000'li yılların başında yeniden keşfedildi ve o zamandan beri depoya yerleştirildi.

Mussolini'nin saltanatı, 28 Nisan 1945'te, metresi Clara Petacci'nin Como Gölü kıyısında Komünist Partizanlar tarafından yakalanıp öldürülmesiyle sona erdi. 29 Nisan'da, ertesi gün, cesetleri Milano'daki Piazzale Loreto'daki bir benzin istasyonunun kirişlerine asıldı. 61 yaşındaydı. 30 Nisan'da Adolf Hitler intihar etti. İkinci Dünya Savaşı bitmek üzereydi.

21 yıllık iktidarı boyunca Benito Mussolini, yüzlerce binayı yıkmasına ve binlerce insanı bunun için yerinden etmesine rağmen, Roma'nın çehresini sonsuza dek değiştirdi.

RASYONEL MİMARİ

Mussolini'nin Faşizmi, kan pompalayan mitingler, askeri geçit törenleri, propaganda filmleri ve faşist gazetelerle yankılanırken, yeni Roma'sı 4 şeritli geniş bulvarlar ve İtalya'nın yarattığı propaganda mimarisiyle inşa edildi. Akılcı Mimarlık Hareketi.

Rasyonalistler, beton, çelik ve camdan oluşan zarif minimal modernist binaları benimsediler, ancak stilize sütunlar, alınlıklar, revaklar, kubbeler ve kemerlerle eski klasik çizgilere de saygı duydular.

20 cent Euro madeni para üzerinde Boccioni heykeli

Rasyonalizm, I. Dünya Savaşı'nın patlak vermesiyle sona eren bir sanatsal hareket olan 1909-1914 İtalyan Fütürizm Hareketi'nden doğdu.

Fütüristlerin liderlerinden Umberto Boccioni, 1913 tarihli başyapıtı 'Uzayda Sürekliliğin Eşsiz Formları'nın bir görüntüsü ile İtalyan tarafından çıkarılan 20 sentlik euro madeni paranın ön yüzünde anıldı.

İtalyan Fütüristik Mimarisi, sayfadan asla gerçekten çıkmadı.

Hareketin en ünlü mimarı Antonio Sant'Elia, 1888'de Como Gölü kıyısında doğdu ve 1916'da I. Dünya Savaşı'nın Isonzo Cephesi'nde öldü. Fütüristlerin çoğu Savaşta öldü. Vatanseverlik ve şiddet, Fütürist manifestosunun bir parçasıydı.

New City – Antonio Sant’Elia 1912-1914

Kariyeri 9 yılı zar zor kapsamasına rağmen, Sant'Elia'nın hayal gücü ve tasarımları Fritz Lang'in insanları etkiledi. metropol John Portman Otelleri'ne Ridley Scott’s'e Bıçak Sırtı Helmut Jahn'a Chicago'daki Illinois Eyaleti Merkezi.

1931'de Faşist parti, Terragni kardeşleri (Guiseppe ve Attilio) I. eski Romalıların saygısı ve askeri idealizmi.

Monumento ai Caduti-Sant’Elia orijinali, Terragni yapısı

Terragni kardeşler, Sant'Elia'nın çizimlerinden birini yeniden tasarladılar ve Como kıyısı boyunca 30 metre yüksekliğinde bir saygı duruşu yarattılar.

Düşmüşler Anıtı (Monumento ai Caduti), Isonzo Cephesi savaşlarında ölen 650 cesur askeri onurlandırıyor.

Como Gölü'ne bakan cephenin kitabesi şöyledir:

Stanotte si dorme a Trieste o in Paradiso con gli eroi

Bu gece Trieste'de ya da Cennet'te kahramanlarla uyuyacaksın.

YÜZLERİN SEMBOLÜ

İkonik güç amblemi için Mussolini antik Roma'yı benimsedi. fasces, bir balta başının etrafına bağlanmış bir demet ince çubuk.

Tek bir çubuk kolayca ikiye bölünebilirdi, ancak bir çubuk demeti kırılmazdı. Ortada gömülü olan balta başı, Lictors olarak bilinen korumaları tarafından taşınan sulh yargıçlarının yargı gücünü temsil ediyordu.

Faşizm kelimesi Roma fasces'inden türetilmiştir. Faşist dönemde İtalya'daki Akılcı Mimari, Stile Littorio (Lictor'un Stili) olarak tanındı.

Eski simgeleri yeniden kullanmak yeni bir şey değildi. Gamalı haç, Hitler'in Nazi partisi tarafından sahiplenilmeden önce 5000 yıldan daha eskiydi. Sembol Almanya'da ve batı dünyasının diğer birçok yerinde yasaklanmış olsa da, Hindular, Jainler ve Budistler için hala kutsal bir şans sembolü olarak kullanılmaktadır.

Savaştan sonra İtalya'da 'fasces' yasaklandı, ancak hala çok azı kaldı. İtalya affetmeye ve unutmaya daha istekli.

'fasces' sembolü sadece İtalya'da kullanılmadı.

ABD'de yaşıyorsanız, onu birkaç yerde göreceksiniz. 1946'da Franklin D Roosevelt kuruşuyla değiştirilene kadar Mercury Dime'ın kuyruk tarafındaki gravürdü.

Fasces sembolü, Washington D.C.'deki Lincoln Anıtı'ndaki Lincoln'ün sandalyesinin kollarını hâlâ süslüyor. Bu, Columbus Şövalyeleri'nin ambleminde bulunuyor. New York City'deki Federal Hall Ulusal Anıtı'nın önündeki George Washington heykelinde yer alıyor. Aynı zamanda, Amerika Birleşik Devletleri Temsilciler Meclisi odasının Konuşmacı Podyumunun arkasında Amerikan Bayrağının yanında (aşağıdaki fotoğrafta görüldüğü gibi).

ABD Temsilciler Meclisi'nde Fasces tarafından çevrili Amerikan Bayrağı

Bir ABD Politikacısının faşist sembolün önünde dururken Meclis'in başka bir üyesinden faşist olarak bahsetmesini görmek ironinin zirvesidir.

DEMİRYOLU, MUSSOLINI'NİN SAVUNMA SİSTEMİNİN ÇEKİRDESİ OLDU

Roma'ya trenle gelirseniz, büyük olasılıkla Termini Tren İstasyonu (Stazione di Roma Termini).

Mevcut bina 1950'de Annibale Vitellozzi tarafından tamamlanmış olsa da, Angiolo Mazzoni'nin orijinal tasarımı 1936'da temel attı.

1942 Esposizione Universale Roma (EUR) için tamamlanması gerekiyordu ama Dünya Fuarı asla olmadı. Proje 1943'te terk edildi.

Mazzoni binasının hala görünen kısımları var. Binanın ön tarafına bakıyorsanız, Via Giovanni Giolitti boyunca sağa gidin. Bunların hepsi orijinal.

Termini İstasyonu'nun orijinal Mazzoni tasarımının modeli

Angiolo Mazzoni ve Roberto Narducci Faşist dönemin mimari mühendisleriydi, çoğunlukla tren istasyonlarıyla tanınırlardı. 1930'larda İtalya'da 50'ye yakın tren istasyonu tasarladılar ve inşa ettiler.

Roberto Narducci yeni tasarımıyla ödüllendirildi Ostiense Tren İstasyonu Porta San Paolo ve Cestius Piramidi yakınında.

Ostiense İstasyonu, 3 Mayıs 1938'de Adolf Hitler'i Roma'da ağırlamak için tasarlandı ve inşa edildi. İstasyon, 28 Ekim 1940'a kadar resmi olarak açılmadı.

Narducci, cephede mitolojik rölyefler, istasyonda siyah ve beyaz tessera karo zeminler ve tasarımda antik Roma sütunlarına modernize edilmiş bir selam verdi.

İstasyonun kenarındaki Piazza dei Partigiani'den Porta San Paolo'ya giden yola Via Adolfo Hitler adı verildi, ancak savaştan sonra Viale delle Cave Ardeatine olarak yeniden adlandırıldı. Ardeatine mağaralarının taş ocakları, tren istasyonunun yaklaşık 9 km güneyinde.

Mussolini, yeniden canlandırılmış bir demiryolu sistemi için kredi alıyor, ancak hikayenin tamamı bu değildi.

1936'da, Mussolini'den Talaş Sezar olarak bahseden Amerikalı savaş muhabiri ve gazeteci George Seldes, görgü tanığı gazetecilerle dolu daha büyük ekspres trenlerin zamanında çalıştığını, ancak muhabiri olmayan daha küçük hatların, bunun doğru olduğunu yazdı. arızalı raylarda koştu ve kötü yol yatakları sürekli gecikmelere neden oldu.

II. Dünya Savaşı'ndan sonra, Faşist davaya katılmasından derin bir pişmanlık duyan Mazzoni, Kolombiya, Bogota'ya kendi kendini dayattığı bir sürgüne gitti. 1963 yılındaki ölümüne kadar orada kaldı.

Narducci, 1979'da 91 yaşında Roma'da öldü.

MUSSOLINI, gecekondu mahallelerini temizledi ve antik anıtları özgürleştirdi

Mussolini'nin büyük bulvarları, şehri açmak ve Faşist Ordunun ihtişamını ve propagandasını sergilemek için tasarlandı, bir tür modern gün Zafer geçit töreni.

1932 yılında inşa edilen Via dei Fori Imperiali Modern Piazza Venezia'daki Palazzo'yu antik Kolezyum'a bağlayan geçit yollarının en ünlüsüdür. Tüm bunları başarmak için, İmparator Julius Caesar, Augustus, Trajan, Neva ve Vespatian'ın antik İmparatorluk Forumlarından bir parça kopardı. Ayrıca konut bloklarını, ortaçağ kiliselerini yıktı ve binlerce insanı yerinden etti.

NS Via dei TrionfiŞimdi Via di San Gregorio olarak bilinen, Konstantin Kemeri'ni Circus Maximus'a bağladı. Antik anıtların Mussolini'nin 1942'deki Expo, EUR'ya bağlanması önerildi.

Via della Conciliazione'den önce Aziz Petrus Meydanı

Faşist hükümeti Vatikan ile aynı hizaya getirmek için 1936'da Via della ConciliazioneMussolini'nin Roma'sını Katolik Vatikan'a bağlayan bir başka modernizasyon ve büyük geçit yolu.

NS uzlaştırma bu mutabakat Faşist Hükümet ile Vatikan arasında. Yoldaki inşaat, Mussolini ve Faşizmin ölümünden beş yıl sonra, 1950 yılına kadar bitmedi.

Gianlorenzo Bernini'nin Aziz Petrus Meydanı'ndaki büyük tasarımı, Borgo'nun karanlık ve dar ortaçağ sokaklarından geçtikten sonra Kilise'nin ve Piazza'nun büyük kucaklaşmasına sahipti. Via della Conciliazione tasarımını sonsuza dek değiştirdi.

Via Ostiense/Via del Mare, Porta San Paolo'yu antik Ostia limanına bağladı. Mussolini'nin arkeologları, 1938 ve 1941 yılları arasında antik limanın büyük bir kısmını kazdılar ve antik siteyi başarısız 1942 Esposizione Universale Roma'ya (EUR) hazırlamayı umdular. Antik sokak seviyesini ortaya çıkarmak için 600.000 metreküpten (12 metre derinliğe kadar) toprak çıkarıldı.

Başka yollar yapıldı. Bataklıklar kurutuldu ve yerinden edilmiş tüm insanlarla başa çıkmak için yeni kasabalar inşa edildi.

Daha büyük yolların yapılması ve yoksul gecekonduların çoğunun yok edilmesiyle Mussolini, baş mimarı Marcello Piacentini ve şehir plancısı Antonio Munoz ile birlikte antik kalıntıları yüzyıllarca ihmal edilmiş olmaktan kurtardı ve onları yeni bir modernist şehrin planına dahil etti. .

Pompey Tiyatrosu'nun antik bölgesi Largo Arjantin'in tapınaklarını ortaya çıkarmak için Campo dei Fiori yakınlarındaki sıkışık sokakları yerle bir etti. Pantheon'u ve Trajan Sütunlarını ve Marcus Aurelius'u kalabalıklaştıran binaları kaldırdı.

Circus Maximus'un antik bölgesini ortaya çıkarmak için bir gaz fabrikasını taşıdı, bir makarna fabrikasını yıktı, 300 yıllık bir Yahudi mezarlığı kazdı, bir barracche köyünü (fakir gecekondu barakaları) yok etti ve 18 metreden fazla toprağı kazdı. ve enkaz. 1934'e gelindiğinde, antik Roma yarış pisti, Faşist Mitingler ve Sergiler için kullanılan açık bir alandı.

Porta Octavia ve Teatro Marcello'dan (şimdi soylulaştırılmış Yahudi Gettosu) daha fazla baraka gecekondu evini kaldırdı ve Roma'nın ortaçağ balık pazarının son kalıntılarını yok etti.

Tüm inşaat projelerinde olduğu gibi, yıkımın ilk darbesini İl Duce kendisi vuracaktı. Bir fotoğraf fırsatı için balta sallama, gömleğinin kollarını sıvama veya beline kadar soyunma fırsatını asla kaçırmadı.

Antik Forumlar ve Konstantin Kemeri geçit töreni rotası haline geldi, Trajan Pazarları Ticaret Fuarları ve mini sergiler için kullanıldı, Maxentius Bazilikası'nda konserler düzenlendi, Kolezyum'da mitingler düzenlendi ve büyük mitingler ve Faşist Sergileri düzenlendi. Sirk Maximus.

Mussolini'nin yeni şehir planının en büyük üç kentsel yenileme projesi, Piazza Augusto Imperitore Augustus Mozolesi çevresinde, Foro Mussolini, modern bir spor, fiziksel uygunluk ve hükümet merkezi ve Esposizione Universale Roma (EUR), Mussolini'nin yeni Roma dünyasının Expo'su.

PIAZZA AUGUSTO IMPERITORE

Bu günlerde, Piazza Augusto Imperitore için bilinir Ara Pacis Müzesi, İmparator Augustus'un Hispania (İspanya) ve Galya (Fransa) savaşlarında zaferle Roma'ya dönmesinden sonra inşa edilen MÖ 9 Barış Sunağı'na ev sahipliği yapan tartışmalı 2006 Richard Meier binası.

Richard Meier Ara Pacis Müzesi, 60 yılı aşkın bir süredir Roma'nın eski tarihi bölgesindeki ilk yeni binaydı.

Piazza Augusto Imperatore – 1938

1937'de Mussolini, İmparator Augustus'un doğumunun Bimillennial (2000.) yıldönümünü kutlamak için planlar yaptı. Kutlama, Augustus'un eski görkemine ve Mussolini ile Faşistlerin yeni görkemine saygılarını sunacaktı.
Plan, bölgeyi çevreleyen eski mahallenin çoğunu yıkacaktı. Augustus'un Mozolesi ve Ara Pacis sunağı için inşa edilmiş yeni bir müzeyi restore edilmiş bir Augustus Mozolesi ile birleştiren yeni bir Piazza'yu yeniden inşa edin. Mussolini, Mozoleyi kendi son dinlenme yeri olarak tasavvur etti.

Piazza'nun diğer ucunda yeni inşa edilen Istituto Nazionale della Previdenza Sociale (Sosyal Güvenlik Merkezi) olacaktır.

Sorumlu adamdı Vittorio Ballio Morpurgo, Roma'dan bir Yahudi Mimar. Bimillenyum Kutlamasından önce projeyi tamamlamak için sadece bir yılı vardı. Augustus MÖ 63'te doğdu. Gerçek yıldönümü 1938'de olacaktı.

2000 yılında yıkılmadan önce Morpurgo Ara Pacis Müzesi

Projeyi zamanında tamamlamak için Morpurgo, yeniden inşa edilmiş antik sunağı görmek için büyük pencereleri olan traverten mermeri gibi görünmek üzere boyanmış beton bir kabuk yarattı. Antik Barış Sunağı'nın parçaları, yaklaşık 850 metre uzaklıktaki Palazzo Montecitorio yakınlarındaki orijinal konumundan yeni yerine taşındı.

Morpurgo Müzesi, yıllar süren bakımsızlık ve kapatmanın ardından 2000 yılında yıkıldı. Bu fotoğraf yıkımdan hemen önce çekildi.

Vittorio Ballio Morpurgo'ya 1941'de tamamlanan Istituto Nazionale della Previdenza Sociale için daha fazla zaman verildi. ‘Stile Littorio’. Mussolini, faşistleri, fasyaları taşıyan ve yöneticilerin yargı kararlarını yerine getiren eski Romalı Lictors'den sonra Littori olarak adlandırdı.

Binanın ön yüzünde Fasces'i (birbirine bağlı çubuklar) tutan iki Roma uçan Zaferinin bir kabartması vardır.

Mussolini'nin adı savaştan sonra tahrif edildi. Sol tarafta 4. satırda. Savaş sonrası İtalya, Il Duce'ye yapılan tüm referansları kaldırmaya veya tahrif etmeye hevesliydi. Yıl geçti ve mimariye saygı, savaş yıllarının utancına üstün geldi. Bina Roma mirasının bir parçasıdır. İsim ve cephe restore edildi.

HUNC LOCUM UBI AUGUSTI MANES VOLITANT PER AURAS
POSTQUAM IMPERATORIS MAUSOLEUM EX SAECULORUM TENEBRIS
EST EXTRACTUM ARAEQUE PACIS DISIECTA MEMBRA REFECTA
MUSSOLINI DUX VETERIBUS ANGUSTIIS DELETIS SPLENDIDIORIBUS
VIIS AEDIFICIIS AEDIBUS AD HUMANITATIS MORES APTIS
ORNADUM CENSUIT ANNO MDCCCCXL A F. R. XVIII

Burası, İmparator'un Mozolesi çağların karanlığından çıkarıldıktan ve Barış Sunağı'nın dağınık parçaları restore edildikten sonra, Augustus'un ruhunun esintiyle uçtuğu yerdir. Önder Mussolini, 1940 yılında, Faşist Dönemin on sekizinci yılında, eski dar yerlerin yıkılmasını ve yerin insanlığa uygun sokaklar, binalar ve türbelerle donatılmasını emretti.

Frizin üzerindeki sırlı seramik mozaik paneller, Romalı sanatçı Ferruccio Ferrazzi tarafından yapılmıştır.

Ortadaki seramik, iki bebeği, Romulus ve Remus'u tutan bir nehirde duran genç, güçlü bir figür (Tiber Nehri'ni temsil ediyor) ile 'Roma'nın Doğuşu'nu gösteriyor. Şeklin altında dişi kurt var.

'Roma'nın Doğuşu'nun yanlarında Roma'yı büyük bir İmparatorluk yapan insanların özelliklerini temsil eden 6 figür var.

Eski Piazza Augusto Imperitore çoğunlukla yıkılmış olsa da, San Girolamo dei Croati Kilisesi (Roma'daki Hırvatistan'ın ulusal Katolik Kilisesi) kurtuldu.

Mussolini, binalarını yıkarken, cemaatçilerin çoğunu Piazza'dan yeniden yerleştirdi. Vatikan'ı yatıştırmak için, büyük yeniden tasarımın bir parçası olarak Kilise için bir manastır inşa etmeyi kabul etti.

NS Collegio degli Illirici manastır hala orada ve faşist propaganda sanatının bazı mükemmel örneklerine sahip. Illiriciler, Hırvatistan'ın eski isimlerinden biri olan ve Shakespeare'in On İkinci Gecesi'ne sahne olan Illyria'lı insanlardır.

FORO MUSSOLINI, FORO ITALICO olarak yeniden adlandırıldı

1926'da Mussolini popülaritesinin zirvesini yaşıyordu. Foro Mussolini için yaptığı konsept, Roma tarzı bir forum veya agoranın modern bir versiyonuydu ve Faşist Rejimi beden eğitimi, spor, hükümet ve Carrara mermerinin gücüyle sergiledi.

Forumun tasarımı ve inşası için 35 yaşındaki Enrico Del Debbio ve 30 yaşında Luigi Moretti. Genel amaçları, Papa III. Paul'ün 16. yüzyıl Farnesina bahçelerinin ilahi doğası ile Mussolini'nin gücü ve modernist mimari arasında uyumlu bir denge yaratmaktı.

Forum'un açılışı 1936'da, İtalya'nın Etiyopya'ya karşı kazandığı zaferle aynı zamana denk geldi. Mussolini'nin propaganda filmi şirketi tarafından hazırlanan bu film, Forum'un açılışa hazırlandığını gösteriyor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dISfQWO3bb0

1938'de Mussolini, Adolf Hitler'i karşılamak için Foro'da büyük bir gamalı haç oluşturan Faşist gençlerin meşalesini de içeren büyük bir gösteri düzenledi. Hitler etkilendi.

Mussolini, Forum'un 1944 Yaz Olimpiyatlarına ev sahipliği yapmasını amaçladı, ancak oyunlar Londra'ya verildi. Aslında 1944 oyunları hiç olmadı. 1948'e ertelendi.

Orijinal Del Debbio tasarımı ve Accademia Della Farnesina bugün

Del Debbio tamamladı Academia della Farnesina (Faşist beden eğitimi akademisi) 1928'de. Bina hala orijinal tasarımın Pompei kırmızısına boyanmıştır. Şu anda İtalyan Olimpiyat Merkezi olarak hizmet vermektedir.

Gururla fiziksel olarak formda bir Duce, faşist alem boyunca fiziksel uygunluğu teşvik etti. Academia della Farnesina'da bir kapalı yüzme havuzu ve Mussolini'nin Luigi Moretti tarafından tasarlanan kişisel spor salonu (Palestra del Capo del Governo) bulunuyordu.
Akademi sonunda Faşist gençlik örgütü için eğitim okulu oldu. Opera Nazionale Balilla.

Balilla, bazı Avusturya askerlerine taş atan ve 1746'da Avusturya Hapsburglarına karşı bir İtalyan isyanı başlatan Giovane Battista Perasso adlı Cenevizli bir çocuğun takma adıydı. Mussolini, yeni İmparatorluğun geleceğinin yüceltilmiş gençlerin elinde olduğunu anladı.

Del Debbio tamamladı Stadio dei Cipressi 1934 yılında 50.000 kapasiteli.

savaştan sonra Stadio dei Cipressi olarak yeniden inşa edildi Stadio CentomilaWilma Rudolf'un 3 altın madalya kazandığı ve Rafer Johnson'ın Decathlon'u kazandığı 1960 Olimpiyat Oyunları için koltuk sayısı 65.000'e düşürüldü.

oldu Stadio Olimpico 1974'te. 1990'da büyük bir revizyondan geçti. 1990 tasarımının mimarlarından biri, Rasyonalist Mimarların son kalanlarından biri olan Annibale Vitellozzi idi. 1950'lerde Stadı 1960 Olimpiyatlarına hazırlamak için çalıştı. Vitellozzi 1990 yılında öldü. Stadio Olimpico onun son projesiydi.

Olimpiyat Stadı 2008 yılında tekrar güncellendi. Şu anda 70.261 oturma kapasiteli Roma ve Lazio futbol kulüplerinin stadyumu.

Del Debbio'nun Stadio dei Marmi (Mermerler Stadı) 1928 yılında tamamlanmıştır. 5.200 kişilik atletizm stadyumu, klasik pozdaki atletlerin gerçek boyutlu mermer heykelleri ile çevrilidir.

Orijinal tasarımın 64 heykeli vardı. Stadyum 60 ile açıldı. Şimdi 59 tane var. 60'ına ne olduğunu kimse bilmiyor. Mermer Heykeller Stadyumu hala atletizm, Rugby maçları ve Binicilik müsabakaları için kullanılmaktadır. Hala güçlü bir mimari yapıdır.

Foro Italico'da tenis

Del Debbio'nun ikonik mermer heykel yüzüğü, Campo di Tenis (1933-4), Costantino Costantini tarafından. 1935'ten beri İtalyan Açık Tenis Turnuvası'na ev sahipliği yapmaktadır.

Del Debbio'nun Forum için en büyük projesi, Palazzo della Farnesina. Başlangıçta adı verildi Palazzo Littorio (Lictors Sarayı) eski Roma Lictors için, sulh hakimlerinin kişisel korumaları ve fasces taşıyan imparatorluk idarecileri, imparatorluk ofislerini koruyor ve yöneticiler tarafından devredilen adli adaleti yerine getiriyordu.

Faşist partinin karargahı olarak belirlenen Palazzo, 1935'te temel attı, ancak 1943'te Mussolini'nin iktidardan uzaklaştırılmasıyla çalışma durduruldu.

Tüm İtalya'daki en büyük binalardan biriydi (ve hala öyle). Merkezi bir avlunun etrafına inşa edilmiş, 169 m uzunluğunda, 51 m yüksekliğinde ve 132 m derinliğindedir. 6,5 kilometrelik koridorları ve 1300'ün üzerinde odası var.

Proje o kadar büyüktü ki Del Debbio, Vittorio Ballio Morpurgo, Arnaldo Foschini ve Luigi Moretti ve diğerlerinin tasarımı yapması gerekti. İnşaat, başlıca mimarlarla birlikte 1948'de yeniden başladı ve 1959'da tamamlandı. İtalya Cumhuriyeti Dışişleri Bakanlığı. Tamamlanan Palazzo, orijinal tasarıma çok yakın. Binanın Rational mimarisinin yanı sıra Palazzo, Art Nouveau'dan Fütürizme, soyut, Arte Povera ve avangard'a kadar 20. yüzyıl İtalyan Sanatının en iyi koleksiyonlarından birine ev sahipliği yapıyor.

1955'te Roma, 1960 Yaz Olimpiyatları'na layık görüldü. Yeni İtalyan hükümeti, Rasyonalist Mimarları, şimdi yeniden adlandırılan Foro Italico'daki binalarını bitirmeye davet etti.

Del Debbio tamamladı Stadio del Nuoto, 1959'da Olimpik yüzme havuzu. 1960 Olimpiyatlarından sonra pek çalışmadı ve 1973'te Roma'da öldü.

Luigi Moretti tasarladı Piazzale dell'Impero, Forum'un büyük girişi, 42 tonluk Carrara mermer Küre Çeşmesi'ni (Fontana della Sfera) 55' yüksekliğindeki MUSSOLINI DUX Dikilitaş'a bağlayan mozaik kaplı büyük Piazza.

55 'uzunluğundaki Obelisk (Costantino Costantini tarafından), anıtın boyutunu iki katından fazla 120' boyuna yaklaştıracak şekilde desteklenir.

Carrara'dan çıkarılan en büyük tek parça mermerdir. En üstteki kulenin som altından yapıldığı söyleniyordu ve 25 Temmuz 1943'te, Faşist rejimin çöküşünde, insanlar dikilitaşı uzun merdivenlerle bastı ve sadece altın boya olduğunu keşfettiler.

Savaştan sonra, Il Duce'ye yapılan tüm kamu referansları yasaklandı, ancak dikilitaşın harflerini kaldırmak parçaya büyük zarar verirdi. Mussolini Dikilitaşı, bir tür nostalji veya mimari akıl yürütme yoluyla, hassas bir konu olarak kalmasına rağmen kurtarıldı.

Piazzale bir zamanlar kan pompalayan Faşist mitinglerin yeriydi. Gerçek bir mozaik propaganda okyanusu. Vaktinizi harcarsanız, IL DUCE kelimelerinin 248 tekrarını sayabilir veya mitolojik ve modern kahramanlık eylemleri yeniden yaratan klasik figürler, zekice Faşist propaganda sözleri ve sembolleri arasında dolaşabilirsiniz. Mozaik sloganlar arasında çok düşman, çok onur, ile Duce, gençliğimizi sana adadık, ile bir gün aslan olarak 100 yıl koyun olmaktan iyidir.

Friuli'deki Spilimbergo'dan 200'den fazla mozaik sanatçısı 10.000 metrekareden fazla alanı yarattı. 1922'de kurulan Spilimbergo Mozaik Okulu, hala ülkedeki en iyi mozaik okullarından biridir.

Mozaik görüntüler yıllar içinde yok edildi ve çürümeye bırakıldı. Foro Italico, hala Roma'nın en büyük spor kompleksidir. Evet, tüm yabancı seyircileri birkaç dönüm Mussolini propagandasıyla selamlamak biraz utanç verici ama şu anda Forum'u restore etmek ya da değiştirmek için herhangi bir plan yok.

Son yıllarda nakit sıkıntısı çeken bir şehir, Foro Italico'yu özel yatırımcılara satmayı teklif etti. İtalya'nın dört bir yanından protestolar yükseldi. Mussolini'nin mirası tartışmalı olabilir ama o İtalya'ya ait ve İtalyanlar da öyle kalmasını istiyor.

Moretti’s 1936 Academia di Scherma veya Casa delle Armi eskrim okuluydu. Kılıç oyunu 1930'larda hala popülerdi.

1981'de, Casa delle Armi, 1978'de Başbakan Aldo Moro'yu en ünlü kaçıran ve öldüren Kızıl Tugay üyeleri için geçici bir polis karakolu ve hapishaneye dönüştüren hükümetin İtalyan yargı kolu tarafından el konuldu.

Bina şu anda üzücü bir bakıma muhtaç durumda. O zamandan beri İtalyan Olimpiyat Komitesi CONI'ye verildi. İnşallah restore ederler.

ironik bir şekilde, Luigi Moretti Benito Mussolini ve Richard Nixon'ın çöküşleriyle mimari olarak ilişkilendirilmiştir.

Luigi Moretti ayrıca Richard Nixon'ın yeniden seçim komitesinin Watergate kompleksindeki Demokratik Ulusal Karargaha girdiği Watergate Kompleksi'ni de tasarladı. 1973'te, Watergate hırsızlığından bir yıl sonra öldü.

Espozione Universal Roma , EUR, E42

Roma'nın Fiumicino Havalimanı'ndan şehir merkezine giden rota sizi genellikle EUR (Esposizione Universale Roma), Mussolini'nin önerdiği 1942 Dünya Fuarı alanı, merkezi Roma'nın yaklaşık 8 km güneyinde. Bu onun yeni İmparatorluğunun yakından ve kişisel bir turunu deneyimlemek için dünyaya davetiydi. 1.5 mil karelik alan Fuar Alanı olarak belirlendi, ancak Expo, tüm Roma'yı, tren istasyonlarını, geniş bulvarları, restore edilmiş antik anıtları, Foro Mussolini, Piazza Augosto Imperitore, yeni restore edilmiş Ostia Antica'yı ve diğerlerini içeriyordu. şehrin etrafındaki siteler. EUR, E42 olarak adlandırıldı. Kısaltma, gider ve tesisat kapaklarında hala görülebilir.

EUR binalarının en ünlüsü traverten mermeridir. Palazzo della Civiltà İtalyan (1938-1943), daha yaygın olarak bilinen adıyla Colosseo Quadrato (Square Coliseum) ve daha az bilinen adıyla Il Palazzo del Groviera (İsviçre Peynir Sarayı).

Taksiciler onu gösterecek ve size bunun Mussolini'nin Faşizminin sembolü olduğunu söyleyecektir. İnsanların acı çekmesi ve onaylanmaması düşünceleri büyük olasılıkla hayal gücünüzü dolduracak, ancak Mussolini ile olan bağlantının ötesine bakarsanız, olağanüstü bir bina göreceksiniz, antik Kolezyum'a neoklasik bir selam, şık bir fütürist, gerçeküstü tasarımda paketlenmiş gibi görünüyor. bir Giorgio de Chirico tablosunun tuvalinden.

The architect in charge of the EUR fair was Marcello Piacentini, Mussolini’s High Commissioner of Urban Renewal. He kept a close hand on everything that went into EUR but he gave the Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana to three relatively unknown young architects named Giovanni Guerrini and Ernesto Lapadula and Mario Romano. The building was started in 1938 and finished in 1943.

There is a lot of symbolism going on here. The obvious one is the futuristic take on the ancient Coliseum. The not so obvious is in the pattern of the arches. The 6 horizontal arches represent the 6 letters of the name Benito. The 9 vertical arches represent the name Mussolini.

Over the entrance of each side is the inscription of dedication to the Italian people poets, artists, heroes, saints, thinkers, scientists, navigators and transmigrators.

The base of the building is decorated with 11’ tall ancient Roman style statues representing the virtues of the Italian people.

At the corners of the building base are 4 stylized versions of the Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, the sons of Zeus and Leda the swan and the brothers of Helen of Troy. The Dioscuri were given credit for the victory of the Battle of Lake Regillus in 495 BC, where the Roman rebels defeated the allied forces of King Tarquinius Superbus (Tarquin the Proud) and officially began the Roman Republic.

The Dioscuri have been watching over Rome for over 2,000 years.

After 72 years of neglect and decay, the Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana / Colosseo Quadrato has been restored and refitted as the new world Headquarters for the Fendi fashion house. There will even be a 1200 square meter exhibition space of the 1st floor.

Karl Lagerfeld, who’s been with Fendi for 50 years, says when he is in the building he feels like he’s being transported into the future, which is kind of ironic since the building was constructed around the same time he was born.

1942 would have been the 20th anniversary of the Fascists coming to power and Mussolini wanted to show the world what he had accomplished. However, Italy’s declaration of war on Britain and France in 1942 killed all international interest in the Fair. By 1943, Mussolini was on the run.

The concept of EUR, a new city for modern times, was the brainchild of architect Marcello Piancentini, the son of the Italian Architect, Pio Piacentini (Palazzo delle Esposizioni in Rome) and considered by many as the chief architect of the Fascist Regime.

Piancentini awarded the entrance to the Fair to Adalberto Libera’s monumental 300m wide x 200m tall Arch.

Although the Monumental Arch was never built in EUR, the concept did eventually come to life in 1965 when Eero Saarinen designed his now iconic 192m x 192m St Louis Arch.

Adalberto Libera died in 1963. He never got to see the Saarinen arch.

Libera also designed the Palazzo dei Ricevimenti e dei Congressi (Convention Center), a project that began in 1938 but abandoned in 1943.

The Palazzo was completed in 1956 and used for the fencing competition of the 1960 Olympics.

The classical nod here is to the Ancient Pantheon in Rome.

The unfinished Palazzo served as an encampment for German troops in 1943 and an encampment for British troops in 1945.

After the war it was used as a refuge shelter for displaced Romans, homeless from the bombings on the city.

In 1977, three bombs exploded in the Palazzo in a fear tactic against the Convention/Congress of the Italian Socialist Party. The renovation that followed created a roof garden. It is still used for Political Conventions, Trade Shows and Corporate Conferences.

Libera’s career flourished after the war. Most of the Rationalists were forced into membership in the Fascist party and consequently excused after the war.

In 1958, Libera’s Hotel dei Congressi opened it’s doors in anticipation of the Olympic visitors. The hotel is still open if you want to have the experience of staying in a Rationalist style building.

Libera also designed a number of houses, the most famous being the 1938 Casa Malaparte on Capri for the Italian writer, Curzio Malaparte.

NS Palazzo degli Uffici dell’Ente Autonomo was the first completed building of EUR. Designed by Gaetano Minnucci, it was finished in 1939. Originally built as an exposition Hall, it’s filled with black and white mosaics and reliefs drawn from the ancient Roman Empire. In one of the ancient reliefs, Mussolini sits on horseback in a mixture of modern kitch and classical.

It incorporates the classical look of lintels and columns but in a very typical Rational/Fascist style.

Close to the entrance is the sculpture of the Genio dello Sport (Genius of Sport), a bronze sculpture of a youth giving a Fascist salute to all who enter the building. The sculpture, created by the Florentine, Italo Griselli, was known as the ‘Saluto Fascista’ (the Fascist Salute) during the Fascist Era. It was renamed the Genio dello Sport after the war.

The building housed offices for EUR and Fascist personnel. It was used by the German troops during the Nazi occupation in 1943 and by the British troops after the liberation of Rome in 1945.

There was even a bomb shelter built under the building to hold 300 people.

NS Museo della Civiltà Romana opened in 1955. It currently holds the fantastic scale model of 4th century Rome known as Il Plastico. Italo Gizmondi started the project in 1935. He finished it in1971 and died 3 years later.

In another wing of the Museo della Civiltà Romana you can view the plaster cast copies of Trajan’s Column. It’s the only place where you can get a close and personal view of the story of Trajan’s defeat of the Dacians in the 2 wars of 101-2 AD and 105-6 AD.

The museum also has reconstructed library that would have existed at Hadrian’s Villa at Tivoli.

The Roman Civilization museum and a Planetarium are connected by a wide Roman style colonnade, a modernist version of an ancient roman aqueduct.

NS Museo della Civiltà Romana has been closed for repairs since January 2014.

A walk through the old fairgrounds will take you by the Palazzo delle Scienze, now the Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico (African, Chinese and American Indian handicrafts). This building was constructed with green marble columns to resemble the cipollino marble from Greece that was used in the columns of the Temple of Antoninus and Faustina in the Roman Forum.

In the center of EUR is the Piazza Guglielmo Marconi, highlighted by a 45m tall obelisk dedicated to Guglielmo Marconi, the inventor of the radio. It was sculpted by the Carrara born sculptor/painter, Arturo Dazzi. Marconi died in Rome in 1937 and never got to see his memorial. It was completed in 1957, in time for the opening of the 1960 Olympics.

There are 92 marble panels along the sides of the monument depicting the important moments of the inventor’s life done in allegorical style.

Dazzi began the project in 1937 but everything in EUR was abandoned in 1943. In 1952, he came back to the project but after too many interruptions, he smashed all the plaster models made for the giant stele and quit the job. It was his respect for the Marconi family that got him to return and finish the project in 1957.

No matter how long you look at them, you’ll never be able to figure out what his life was all about.

PalaLottomatica Arena – current version of Palazzo dello Sport

From the Marconi Obelisk, it is a straight shot to the Palazzo dello Sport, now called the PalaLottomatica, a large multipurpose sport and entertainment complex. Lottomattica, a large lottery company, paid for the remodeling between 1999-2003. The new stadium is called PalaLottomatica. It is the venue for stadium size International and Italian Rock tours.

Palazzo dello sport by Marcello Piacentini and Pier Luigi Nervi – circa 195

Marcello Piacentini, the main architect of Mussolini’s new Rome, never had problems finding work after the war. He was such a good architect, he got a big pass on his relationship with Mussolini. Along with the architectural engineer, Pier Luigi Nervi, Piancentini built the original flying saucer shape sports palace between 1958-1960. It hosted the 1960 Olympic basketball games.

Pier Luigi Nervi also engineered the Annibale Vitellozzi designed flying buttress and saucer shaped Palazzetto dello Sport in 1957, a 3,500 seat stadium used for the 1960 Olympics. It is still standing, a short distance from the very modern MAXXI museum off the Via Flaminia. Palazzetto dello Sport is currently the home of Rome’s Acea Vitrus Roma basketball team.

After the 1960 Olympics, EUR went through a building boom. Corporate offices and quick-built highrise apartment buildings crowded up against the Rationalist architecture of E42. Marcello Piancentini had proposed to use EUR as a business park after the E42 expo but in the 1960s had no design oversight. The design by committee city planning that has plagued Italy since the end of the war created a hodgepodge of brutal 60s and 70s architecture. EUR became a suburb of Rome filled with thousands of people. The Metro B line will let you off at 2 different stops (EUR Palasport and EUR Fermi) where you can easily walk through the EUR complex.

Over the years, EUR has also became one of the most popular areas for Rome’s prostitutes. They are there day and night. There are streets for transvestites, male prostitutes, African women, Asian women, Romanian, Albanian and homegrown Italian hookers. Parks, trees, buildings, any small shelter would provide enough time for a quickie. In Italy, pimping and promoting prostitution is a crime, but the the exchange of sex for money is legal. There are close to 100,000 prostitutes working in Italy. One report I read said their clientele base exceeded 2.4 million.

As of 2015, Rome has stepped up to curb the prostitution in EUR, designating certain areas a Prostitute free zones. They are adding more police surveillance and handing out out fines up to €500 if caught having sex with a sex worker in a prostitute free zone.

EUR is changing. Most of the 1970s building are coming down and new modern steel and glass office building are going up.Hopefully the new plan of EUR will integrate the Rationalist architecture into the modern business park.

ÇÖZÜM

As much as the Italians try to ignore the legacy of Mussolini, he will be with them forever. Rome is a city that lives with it’s past but change comes very hard. It take a long time to get anything done.

The closure of the Via dei Fori Imperiali to pedestrian traffic has caused major outcries among the Romans and the new Metro C being built under the road could take 8 years before the station opens.

The MAXXI (Museum of Arts of the XXI century) by Iraqi-British architect, Zaha Hadid took 11 years to complete. It was built in the Flaminia neighborhood, close to the Foro Italico.

The 5,000 square meter Holocaust Museum in Rome has been in the planning stage for over 10 years. The Luca Zevi and Giorgio Tamburini design was destined to be built next to the Villa Torlonia, the former residence of Benito Mussolini. It would be the second largest Holocaust Museum in Europe.

I pointed out some of the main pieces of Mussolini’s architectural legacy in Rome but there are other buildings that didn’t make it into this piece.

At Villa Torlonia, you can visit the World War II bunkers created for Mussolini and his family.

The Enrico Del Debbio Foresteria Sud, a guest quarters built at Foro Mussolini is now used as a Youth Hostel. NS Foresteria Nord by Costantino Constantini, another guest quarters at the Foro is now used as part of the Scuola Nazionale dell’Amministrazione.

Marcello Piancentini along with other architects of the Rational Movement designed and built the new campus of La Sapienza University near the Termini train station. La Sapienza is also known as the University of Rome.

Arnaldo Foschini led a group of Rationalists in the construction of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul in EUR.

Adalberto Libera designed the Post office on Via Mamorata, near the Pyramid of Cestius and the Porta di San Paolo. It’s a short walk from the Roberto Narducci Ostiense train station.

Luigi Moretti designed the Casa della Gioventù on the Via di Porta Portese in Trastevere. It’s across the Ponte Sublicio.

Mussolini’s 1936 Building for the Department of East Africa (Somaliland, Eritrea and Ethiopia), across the street from the Circus Maximus is now the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).

Obelisk of Axum – 1956, across the street from the Circus Maximus

The Obelisk of Axum, a 24meter tall, 1700 year old granite obelisk stolen from Ethiopia was a war prize sat in front of the building until 2005 when it was repatriated back to Ethiopia.


Roman Houses During the Republic and Empire

Roman houses developed into highly sophisticated buildings. The houses of the rich Patricians were veritable multi-storey wonders on the coast or sprawling villas whilst the poorer classes, the Plebeians or Plebs, as in all times and ages were gradually reduced to live in unhealthy slums. The great fire of Rome during the reign of Emperor Nero is said to have burned down the greater part of these slums in order to make way for his enormous palace called “the Golden House” or Domus Aurea.

The progress of the early Roman empire in terms of peace (pax Romana), wealth and relativley large cities with higher population densities came hand in hand with the progress of technology and civil engineering which allowed such population concentrations to thrive: plentiful food and water supply, streets and pavements allowing ordered transport and mobility, ports to carry merchandise to and from, drains and sewers to keep the city clean.

Clearly such a situation tends to raise the value of each square meter of land, providing an incentive to build higher buildings which can utilise such investment to the full. From the residential point of view and Roman housing this is particularly evident in the development of multi-storey apartment buildings.


Amazon River Flowed Backwards in Ancient Times

South America's winding Amazon River flows in an easterly direction across the continent, dumping water into the Atlantic Ocean. But in eons past, it flowed from east-to-west and, for a time, in both directions at once, a new study finds.

About 100 million years ago, during the middle of the Cretaceous Period when dinosaurs still walked the Earth, the continents of South America and Africa broke apart. The fissure created a raised highland along the east coast of South America, which tilted the Amazon's flow, sending water and sediment rushing toward the center of the continent [image].

Over time, South America developed a vertical crease along its middle, a small mountain range called the Purus Arch. The ridge divided the Amazon's flow [image], sending one side of the river eastward toward the Atlantic Ocean and the other side westward toward the still-growing Andes Mountains.

Toward the end of the Cretaceous, the growing Andes became large enough to send the Amazon's water tumbling back toward the Purus Arch. Eventually, sediments eroded from the Andes filled in the Amazon basin between the mountains and the Arch. Water breached the Arch and flowed unobstructed eastward. By this time, the eastern highland had eroded away, and the river's water could empty freely into the Atlantic [image].

The discovery of the Amazon's reverse flow in ancient times was accidental.

Scientists were studying rocks in the river to determine the speed at which sediment is ferried toward the Atlantic when they stumbled upon ancient minerals grains in the central part of South America. A chemical analysis revealed the grains could only have originated in the now-eroded highlands on the eastern part of the continent.

The new finding helps illustrate the transient nature of Earth's surface, the researchers said.

"Although the Amazon seems permanent and unchanging, it has actually gone through three different stages of drainage since the mid-Cretaceous, a short period of time geologically speaking," said study team member Russell Mapes, a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Previous studies showed certain segments of the Amazon flowed backward in times past, but the current research, presented today at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America in Philadelphia, is the first to reveal a continent-wide shift in the river's movements.

Also involved in the research were UNC geologist Drew Coleman and Brazilian scientists Afonso Nogueira and Angela Maria Leguizamon Vega of the Universidade Federal do Amazonas.

The Amazon is the second longest river in the world, after the Nile River in Egypt. About 4,000 miles long, the Amazon is the equivalent of the distance from New York City to Rome.


Temple of Venus and Roma (Venus et Roma)

The Temple of Venus and Rome was one of Rome’s most colossal temples. Constructed by Hadrian, and dedicated in 135 (though possibly not completed until 145 by Antoninus Pius, according to numismatic evidence depicting the temple), it essentially enveloped the Velia hill, a small contiguous mound adjoining the Palatine hill.

The construction covered over the remains of the extensive portico entrance to Nero’s Golden House and necessitated the relocation of Nero’s colossal statue from the top of the Velia hill down to its location next to the Colosseum. Excavations in the 1930s also revealed a series of other structures enveloped by the temple construction: private residences with cryptoporticoes and cisterns, underlying the original residential nature of the Velia.

The structure today is a magnificent ruin, largely a reconstruction under Maxentius after the fire that also severely damaged the Roman Forum in 283, or 307 (Chron. 148 Aur. Vict., Caes. 40.26). In response, Maxentius also rebuilt the vestibule on the Via Sacra that connected to the Forum of Peace and constructed the massive brick-faced basilica, completed by Constantine. Maxentius’ main contribution to Hadrian’s temple was to reconstruct the original wooden roof of the temple, destroyed by the fire, in concrete vaults, and he added back-to-back curved apses for the two cella spaces, lining them with porphyry columns (today, partially reconstructed).
The temple’s dimensions were enormous. 107 meters by 48 meters, with ten columns across the front (decastyle), and twenty-two along the sides. The columns were truly enormous, 60 foot shafts. The roof height was over 30 meters. The actual precinct around the temple measured 145 by 100 meters. It was flanked by smaller side porticoes with granite columns, many which have been re-erected, and in more recent times, shored up with scaffolding to protect them from possible damage from the ongoing work on Metro C along the Via dei Fori Imperiali.

The temple had two, back-to-back cellae to accommodate the two goddesses. The Forum (west) side was dedicated to Roma Aeterna, the personification of the goddess created by the conquered Greek cities in the Republican period, though rarely worshipped officially in Rome until Hadrian. The Colosseum (East) side housed a statue of Venus Felix.

The temple stood largely intact until the seventh century, when emperor Heraclius allowed Pope Honorius I to remove the bronze roof tiles for adorning S. Peter’s basilica. Then, with the destruction of Santa Maria Antiqua in the Forum in 847, San Maria Nova was constructed on the western end of the podium, later joined by a monastery, of S. Francesca Romana. By the 11-12C it was incorporated into local fortifications adjoining the Palatine hill. From the 14C- 16C it was cited as a quarry site, frequently pillaged for marble and travertine.

The site took its current form only in the 1930s, with the construction of the Via dei Fori Imperiali. In more recent years, the podium has become accessible to the public daily, as part of the regular entrance to the Forum-Palatine archaeological park, giving the visitor an exception view of the Colosseum and a fantastic opportunity to explore one of Rome’s largest temples.

VENUS ET ROMA, TEMPLUM (* ναός , Cass. Dio cit.), the double temple on the Velia built by Hadrian (Chron. 146 Hieron. a. Abr. 2147), and dedicated to Venus Felix, the ancestress of the Roman people, and to the genius of the city, Roma aeterna. The association of these two divinities on a coin of C. Egnatius Maximus is noticed by Babelon (i. 472 but cf. BM. Rep. i. p. 399, n. 3). It was also called templum urbis Romae (Serv. Aen. ii. 227 ), templum urbis (Amm. Marcell. xvi. 10 . 14 Hist. Aug. Hadr. 19 Cassiod. Chron.), urbis Venerisque templa (Prud. c. Sym. ben. 221 ), and possibly templum Veneris 1 (Hist. Aug. trig. tyr. 32). The plans were drawn by Hadrian himself, and evoked sharp criticism from his Greek architect, Apollodorus, who is said to have been put to death in consequence (Cass. Dio lxix. 4 ). The temple was dedicated in 135 A.D. (Hieron. loc. cit. cf. Athen. viii. 63 , P. 361, who erroneously gives the day as the Parilia), but perhaps finished by Antoninus Pius (Cohen, Hadrian 1420-1423, Pius 698-703, 1074-1076).

In accordance with Roman theory in such matters, it was necessary to build a separate cella for each goddess, in this case not side by side, but back to back, that of Venus facing east, and that of Roma west (Prud. loc. cit.: atque Urbis Venerisque pari se culmine tollunt templa). In 307 the temple was injured by fire and restored by Maxentius (Chron. 148 Aur. Vict. Caes. 40: urbis fanum) and the whole of the superstructure dates from his time, as was first pointed out by Nibby (Roma Antica ii. 738 2 cf. AJA 1912, 429 ). It was one of the monuments that aroused the special wonder of Constantius when he visited Rome in 356 (Amm. Marcell. xvi. 10 . 14), and was probably the largest and most magnificent temple in the city. It is mentioned in the Notitia (Reg. IV), and somewhat later by Prudentius (loc. cit.), for the last time in antiquity. The history of its destruction is unknown, but in 847-853 Leo IV built the church of S. Maria Nova in its ruins (HCh 352), and this is one of the chief arguments that it was the earthquake of his reign that wrought so much harm in and around the forum ( LPD ii. 108 , C. 20: terre motus in urbe Roma per indictionem factus est x ( i . e . before 30 th August , 847) ita ut omnia elementa concussa viderentur ab omnibus ). This church was rebuilt in 1612 and is now called S. Francesca Romana. (Cf. p. 235).

The temple proper was built on an enormous podium of concrete faced with travertine, 145 metres long and 100 wide, on the north side of the Sacra via, between the Velia and the Colosseum, and on the line of the main axis of the latter, necessitating the removal of the COLOSSUS NERONIS (q.v.). Owing to the slope of the ground, the height of the podium at the east end is considerable, and chambers were constructed in it for the storage of the machinery and apparatus of the amphitheatre. On this podium was a peribolus formed of a colonnade consisting of an outer wall and a single row of enormous columns of grey Egyptian granite on the sides, and probably of a double row of columns only at the ends. This colonnade had projections like propylaea at the corners and at the middle of the long sides. Görmek JRS 1919, 184 , for Ligorio’s plan of it (the genuineness of which is doubtful). At the west end of the podium a wide flight of steps led down to the paved area in front of the temple but at the east end there were only two small flights. The temple proper was raised on a platform, seven steps high, in the centre of the peribolus. The two cellar ended in apses placed back to back but a: the side walls of the cellae were prolonged so as to meet, the external appearance was that of one long rectangular building.

This temple was decastyle, of the Corinthian order, and pseudo- dipteral (Cohen, Hadr. 1420-3, 3 Pius 698-703, 1074-6 BC 1903, 19 ), the columns of the peristyle being of white marble about 1.8 metres in diameter. The cellae were narrower than the facade, and each pronaos had only four columns between the antae. The building was constructed of brick-faced concrete, and entirely covered with marble. Within the cellae, on each side, were rows of porphyry columns supporting an entablature. In the apses were five niches, alternately square and semicircular, with columns and entablatures in front of them. In the central niche of each apse was the statue of the goddess herself-Venus, in one and Roma in the other. Within the precincts of the temple were silver statues of Marcus Aurelius and Faustina, and an altar on which sacrifice was made by newly married couples (Cass. Dio lxxi. 31 ), a statue of Minerva (Serv. Aen. ii. 227 ), and doubtless many more (Hist. Aug. trig. tyr. 32).

A single staircase, between the apses on the south side, led to the roof of the temple ( NA 1910, 631-638 RA 131-132, 213-215), which was covered with gilt tiles. A part of the west front of the temple, with its sculptured pediment, is represented on two fragments of a relief, now in the Lateran and Museo delle Terme (MD 3519 Benndorf-Schoene, Lateran 20 S. Sculp. 238-240 Mitt. 1895, 248 PT 227-228 see PANTHEON ), 4 which shows that on this west pediment were reliefs of Mars visiting Rhea Silvia and of the she-wolf suckling the twins. Most of the west cella has been destroyed the apse and part of the east cella still stand in ruins, with many fragments of the columns of peristyle and peribolus (see DAP 2. xv. 368, and LS i. passim ii. 220-222 , for particulars of building materials quarried on its site). This temple with its enormous peribolus falls into the same category of buildings as the imperial fora, of which it formed a virtual continuation (HJ 17-20 Gilb. iii. 136 HC 243-247 WR 293, 340 D’Esp. Pzt. ii. 90-95 Fr. ii. 88-90 DR 185-190 RE ek iv. 481-484 Mem. L. 5. xvii. 525 ASA 73, 74 HFP 51-52 JRS 1925, 218 , 219).


Did Roman people sleep on mattresses?

String bed in modern India (thanks to Cecil Images)

Many people probably didn’t have mattresses. They slept right on the strings, or on straw mats laid on top of the strings. Cloth – because people had to spin and weave it by hand – was too expensive for most Roman people to use on bedsheets or mattress covers.

History of spinning Spinning rope and nets What about weaving?


Comparison: AncientGreeks & Romans

Art: The Greeks wanted perfection in their depiction of people. The Romans want real life people. The Greeks statues were of perfect people. The Romans statues contained all the flaws of real people.

Expansion: The Greeks colonized. They established some colonies on the coastline around the Mediterranean Sea. The Romans conquered and ruled all over the Mediterranean.

Connection: The Romans built roads that connected their empire to Rome. The Greeks built roads to connect two specific cities.

Devlet: The Romans created an empire that lasted 500 years. The Greek civilization was a collection of city-states, and were not united under one central government until they were conquered by Alexander the Great. Even then, Alexander allowed all the conquered Greek city-states to rule their own state, provided they were loyal to Alexander.

Women: In Ancient Greece women had no rights. They were property. In Rome, when ruled by kings, and then under the Republic, women were not property, but they had no rights. During the Empire, Roman women had quite a few rights, but were still not citizens.

Language: The Greeks spoke Greek. The Romans spoke Latin.

These are just a few of the differences between these two ancient civilizations. Can you think of others? How about inventions or myths?


Study: Archimedes Set Roman Ships Afire with Cannons

Greek inventor Archimedes is said to have used mirrors to burn ships of an attacking Roman fleet. But new research suggests he may have used steam cannons and fiery cannonballs instead.

A legend begun in the Medieval Ages tells of how Archimedes used mirrors to concentrate sunlight as a defensive weapon during the siege of Syracuse, then a Greek colony on the island of Sicily, from 214 to 212 B.C. No contemporary Roman or Greek accounts tell of such a mirror device, however.

Both engineering calculations and historical evidence support use of steam cannons as "much more reasonable than the use of burning mirrors," said Cesare Rossi, a mechanical engineer at the University of Naples "Federico II," in Naples, Italy, who along with colleagues analyzed evidence of both potential weapons.

The steam cannons could have fired hollow balls made of clay and filled with something similar to an incendiary chemical mixture known as Greek fire in order to set Roman ships ablaze. A heated cannon barrel would have converted barely more than a tenth of a cup of water (30 grams) into enough steam to hurl the projectiles.

Channeling steam power

Italian inventor Leonardo da Vinci sketched a steam cannon in the late 15th century, which he credited to Archimedes, and several other historical accounts mention the device in connection with Archimedes.

Indirect evidence for the steam cannon also comes from the Greek-Roman historian Plutarch, who tells of a pole-shaped device that forced besieging Roman soldiers to flee at one point from the walls of Syracuse.

The Greek-Roman physician and philosopher Galen similarly mentioned a burning device used against the Roman ships, but used words that Rossi said cannot translate into "burning mirror."

Rossi calculated that such cannons could have fired a cannonball weighing roughly 13 pounds (6 kilograms) at speeds of roughly 134 miles per hour (60 meters per second). That allowed the cannons to possibly target troops or ships at distances of approximately 492 feet (150 m) while firing at a fairly flat trajectory to make aiming easier.

"As far as I know, it is the first paper about that use of a steam cannon by Archimedes," Rossi told LiveScience.

Past investigations by Greek engineer Joannis Stakas and Evanghelos Stamatis, a historian, showed that a parabolic mirror can set small, stationary wooden ships on fire. MIT researchers carried out a similar demonstration more than three decades later in 2005.

But whether mirrors could have maintained a constantly changing curvature to keep the right burning focus on moving ships seems doubtful, Rossi noted. He added that ancient sailors could have easily put out any fires that started from a slow-burning mirror.

By contrast, Greek fire emerged in many historical accounts as a deadly threat for ancient warships. The unknown chemical mixture reportedly burned underwater, and saw most use by the Byzantine Empire that dominated the Eastern Mediterranean starting in A.D. 330. Other records mention earlier versions of the burning mixture.

Recreating the past

The steam cannons only represent the latest historical investigation by Rossi. He previously coauthored the book "Ancient Engineers&rsquo Inventions: Precursors of the Present" (Springer, 2009), along with military historians Flavio Russo and Ferruccio Russo.

The trio plan to meet up with other historians in the future and possibly reconstruct versions of the ancient weapons. Flavio previously built several working reconstructions of ancient Roman artillery weapons, and Ferruccio specializes in 3-D virtual reconstructions of mechanical devices.

Some of Rossi's other work looked at ancient motors that may have moved siege towers used by the Greeks and Romans. The likeliest motors may have relied on counterweights, and emerged in records as the invention of Heron of Alexandria in the first century.

Such devices could have been placed inside the protection of the towers themselves, Rossi noted. He pointed to an account by the Roman general Julius Caesar, who told of using such towers against a town defended by Gallic tribes in modern-day France. The sight of towers appearing to move by themselves frightened the defenders into negotiating for surrender.

A research paper on the siege towers was presented alongside Rossi's recent work entitled "Archimedes' Cannons against the Roman Fleet?" at the International World Conference held in Syracuse, Italy from June 8-10. The conference proceedings appear in a book titled "The Genius of Archimedes -- 23 Centuries of Influence on Mathematics, Science and Engineering" (Springer, 2010).

In the end, the engineering talents of Archimedes did not save him from death when the Romans finally stormed Syracuse. But at least a love of history among Rossi and his colleagues may lead to the resurrection of some of his ancient devices.


Videoyu izle: Bizans Müzikleri. 1 (Ocak 2022).