Tarih Podcast'leri

Bothwell Kalesi, Yeniden

Bothwell Kalesi, Yeniden


6 harap kale yeniden inşa edildi

İşte geçmişin baronları, kraliçeleri ve kralları tarafından zevk alınan ve savunulan gerçek ihtişamı göstermek için dijital olarak yeniden inşa edilmiş altı harap kale.

1.Dunluce Kalesi (Antrim Kontluğu, Kuzey İrlanda)

Dunluce, herhangi bir Birleşik Krallık kalesinin en dramatik geçmişlerinden birine sahiptir. 1500 civarında inşa edilmiş, 1639 gibi erken bir tarihte terk edilmiştir. Antrim'in 2. Kontu'nun ailesi akşam yemeğini beklerken şatonun mutfağı - ve mutfak personeli - uçurumun kenarında ve denize çökmüştür.

İki yıl sonra, kalenin etrafında gelişen küçük kasaba, İskoçlar tarafından basıldı ve terk edildi. Şimdi değerli bir arkeolojik sit alanı haline geldi ve bu kısa ömürlü yerleşimin tarihi ayak izi, Kuzey İrlanda'nın kuzey ucuna gelen ziyaretçiler için unutulmaz bir yer.

2. Dunstanburgh Kalesi (Northumberland, İngiltere)

Kral II. Edward'ın en güçlü baronu, Lancaster'lı Earl Thomas, bu muazzam kaleyi, iki adam arasındaki ilişkiler bozulduğunda bir güç gösterisi olarak inşa etti. Ancak kont, destansı beşiğinin tadını çıkaramadan yakalandı ve idam edildi.

Kale, Güllerin Savaşları sırasında bir savaş noktası olarak hasar gördükten sonra bakıma muhtaç hale geldi. Bugün, Northumberland Sahili boyunca Dunstanburgh'un harabeleri manzaralı bir yürüyüş, melankoli ama huşu uyandıran bir gün geçirmenizi sağlar.

3. Bothwell Kalesi (Güney Lanarkshire, İskoçya)

Bu on üçüncü yüzyıl kalesi, İskoçya'nın Bağımsızlık Savaşları boyunca çok fazla eylem gördü. Şiddetli savaşların ardından İskoçlar ve İngilizler arasında defalarca el değiştirdi.

Mimari olarak Bothwell, bir dizi kuşatmada harap olan “silindirik donjon” (kalenin sakinleri için güçlendirilmiş bir sığınak) ile dikkat çekiyor. Cadılar Bayramı'nı ziyaret edin ve sevgilisiyle kaçmak için Clyde Nehri'ni geçerken boğulan soylu bir kadın olan Bonnie Jean'in hayaletiyle karşılaşabilirsiniz.

4. Goodrich Kalesi (Herefordshire, İngiltere)

Goodrich 1102'de başladı ve o yüzyılın sonlarında fantastik olarak adlandırılan Godric Mappestone (kale muhtemelen adını aldı) ile güçlendirildi. Kalenin ciddi hasar alması 1642-6 İç Savaşlarına kadar değildi. Cromwell'in ordusu, bu amaç için özel olarak yapılmış bir top olan Roaring Meg'den 200 kiloluk toplarla yağdı.

Savaştan sonra harap olan kale kısmen yıkılmış ve daha sonra terk edilmiştir. Neyse ki, o zamandan beri bir çay salonu kurdular, böylece ziyaretçiler tarihi sergilerin ve korkuluklardan muhteşem manzaraların tadını çıkardıktan sonra şarj olabilecekler.

5. Caerlaverock Kalesi (Dumfries ve Galloway, İskoçya)

İngiltere'nin tek üçgen kalesinin üçlü bir geçmişi vardır: 1280'lerde inşa edilmiş, İngilizlerin eline geçmesini önlemek için 14. yüzyılda Sir Robert Bruce'un sözüyle kısmen sökülmüştür. Yeniden inşa edildikten sonra, 1570 yılında Sussex Kontu tarafından kuşatıldıktan sonra tekrar parçalara ayrıldı. Yeniden inşa edildi, Piskoposlar Savaşı sırasında on üç haftalık bir kuşatma son bir parçalanmayla sonuçlandı ve kale bugün bu şekilde bulunacak.

Ama kalıntılar harika. Caerlaverock'un hendeği, ikiz kuleli kapı evi ve yüksek siperleri, kalenin çalkantılı tarihini onurlandıran bir sergiyle tamamlanıyor.

6. Kidwelly Kalesi (Dyfed, Galler)

Kidwelly ilk olarak Normanlar 1106 civarında güneybatı Galler'e girerken ahşap bir yapı olarak inşa edildi. 1300'lerin son on yılında, Owain Glyn Dwr isyanının patlak verdiği beş aylık bir kuşatmaya dayanmak için tam zamanında büyük taş surlar eklendi. .

Sonraki barış yılları, odağı konut inşaatına çevirdi ve Kidwelly'nin askeri kalesinin ihtişamının kaybolmasına izin verildi. Bu, bir harabe olarak kabul edilmesine rağmen, Kidwelly'nin bugün Galler'deki en iyi korunmuş ve hayranlık uyandıran kalelerden biri olduğu anlamına gelir. Zaman içinde taşındığınızı gerçekten hissetmek için sabah sisinin bir görüntüsünü yakalayın.

Artık bu kalelerin nasıl göründüğünü biliyorsunuz, gerçek olanı ziyaret etmeye ne dersiniz?


Bothwell Kalesi

Clyde'nin yukarısındaki harika bir noktada, Murray'ler, Hepburn'ler ve Douglas'lar tarafından tutulan ve Orta İskoçya'daki Lanarkshire'daki Uddingston yakınlarındaki Bağımsızlık Savaşlarında önemli bir rol oynayan, fantastik, büyük ama harap bir erken dönem taş kalesi Bothwell Kalesi.

Lanarkshire ve Glasgow bölgesi: Hamilton'un yaklaşık 3 mil kuzeyi ve batısında, B7071'in batısındaki küçük yollarda, Clyde Nehri'nin doğu kıyısında, Uddingston'ın 0,5 mil güneyinde, Bothwell Kalesi'nde.

HES NS 688594 İşletim Sistemi: 64 G71 8BL

AÇIK: Tüm yıl açık: Nisan-Eylül, günlük 9.30-17.30 Ekim-Mart, Cmt-Çar 10.00-16.00, kapalı Per ve Cuma son bilet kapanıştan 30 dakika önce 25/26 Aralık ve 1/2 Ocak Kapalı Düğünler.

Clyde Nehri üzerinde güzel bir noktada duran Bothwell Castle, İskoçya'nın en büyük ve en güzel taş kalelerinden biridir. Dikkate değer özelliklerden biri, avlunun bir ucunda duran ve İskoçya için benzersiz olan muhteşem hendekli yuvarlak kulenin veya donjonun harabesidir.

Avlu, bazı yerlerde kulelerle korunan, 60 fit yüksekliğe kadar yükselen güçlü kalın bir perde duvarla çevrilidir. Duvarların içinde bir salon ve şapel de dahil olmak üzere birçok binanın kalıntıları bulunmaktadır. Sadece bir köşedeki büyük bir kulenin temelleri ayaktadır, ancak diğer bir kule, konsollu duvar başlığına tamamlanmıştır ve 13. yüzyıldan kalma hapishane kulesi ve bitişik duvar da kalmaktadır.

Muhteşem yuvarlak donjon, kısmen kayadan oyulmuş, 25 fit genişliğinde ve 15 fit derinliğinde çevreleyen bir hendeğe sahiptir. Donjona giriş, başlangıçta hendeğin karşısındaki bir asma köprü ile ulaşılan ince sivri uçlu bir kapıdan geçmektedir. Giriş, bir parmaklıktan geçerek salona giden bir geçide açılıyordu. Bir kuyu ile bodrum katına paralı bir merdiven var. Donjonun yarısı 14. yüzyılda yok edildi.

Konumu, büyüklüğü ve gücü nedeniyle, Bothwell Kalesi Kurtuluş Savaşları sırasında büyük önem taşıyordu ve 13. yüzyılın ortalarından itibaren Oliphantlardan evlilik yoluyla geçen Murrays'in mülküydü. Kale, Walter Murray (veya Moray'li) ya da 1242'de mülkü aldıktan sonra 'Zengin' olarak bilinen oğlu William Murray tarafından başlatıldı.

Kale 1298-9'da İngilizler tarafından tutuldu, ancak İskoçlar tarafından kuşatıldı ve sonunda 14 ay sonra alındı. 1301'de Edward kaleyi geri aldım ve Edward I'in İskoçya Muhafızı Pembroke Kontu Aymer de Valence'ın karargahı oldu. 1314'te İskoçlara teslim edildi ve bu sırada donjon kısmen yıkıldı. Kalenin kaptanına Northumberland'daki mülkünden 'de Homildon' adı verildi, ancak Robert Bruce tarafından hizmeti için Cadzow'da toprak verildi ve böylece Hamiltons başladı.

1336'da kale İngilizler tarafından alındı ​​​​ve yeniden inşa edildi ve Edward III, Bothwell'i karargahı yaptı, ancak 1337'de Sir Andrew Murray liderliğindeki İskoçlar tarafından yeniden ele geçirildikten sonra kısmen tekrar yıkıldı. Son Murray lordu vebadan öldü. 1360.

1362'de Bothwell, Grim Archibald, 3. Douglas Kontu ve Galloway Lordu tarafından varis Joanna Murray ile evlenerek satın alındı ​​ve kalenin çoğunu yeniden inşa etti (ayrıca bkz.

1455'te Kara Douglasların müsaderesinden sonra, Crichtons'a verildi, ancak onların müsaderesinden sonra, Balnain'li Sir John Ramsay'e geçti, ancak III. 1488'de Sauchieburn Savaşı'nda yenilgiye uğratıldı. Daha sonra, 1492'de Douglas'larla Hermitage Şatosu ile takas edecek olan ve daha sonra Bothwell Kontu olan Lord Hailes, Dunsyre'dan Patrick Hepburn tarafından tutuldu. IV. James, 1503 ve 1504'te ziyaret etti.

17. yüzyılda, Forfar'ın 1. Kontu Archibald Douglas, kalenin yakınında klasik bir konak inşa etti - 1926'da kömür madenciliği nedeniyle çökme nedeniyle yıkıldı - malzeme için kalenin bir kısmını söktü. 19. yüzyılda kale Homes'a geçti ve 1935'te Devletin bakımına verildi ve o zamandan beri giydirme duvarının bir kısmının yeniden inşasıyla onarıldı.

'Bonnie Jean', muhtemelen bir 'Yeşil Jean' olan kaleye musallat oluyor. Cadılar Bayramı'nda donjonun üzerinde göründüğü söylenir. Asil bir hanımefendiydi ama istasyonda kendisinden aşağıda olan yerel bir adama aşık oldu. Sevgilisiyle buluşmak ve kaçmak için Clyde'ı geçmeye çalıştı, ancak teknesi boğuldu ve boğuldu.


Bothwell Kalesi, s.47-52.

Clyde'ın kuzey tarafında, hafif eğimli bir kıyının üzerinde hâlâ yüksek kulelerini koruyan eski zamanın BU güzel kalıntısı, şimdiki çürümüş durumunda bile, eski ihtişamının çarpıcı kalıntılarını sergilemektedir. eski efendileri. Doğuda köşelerini çevreleyen iki yüksek kulesi ve batı ucunda büyük bir kulesi olan 234 fit uzunluğunda ve 100 genişliğinde dörtgen bir yapıdır. Duvarların kalınlığı on beş fitin üzerinde ve birçok yerde altmış fit yüksekliğindedir. Bu dörtgen içinde, binanın ortasında bir avlu, ev sahibinin ve ailesinin konaklaması için salonlar ve daireler yer alacak şekilde yerleştirildi. Şapel hariç, bunların arasında, uzun zaman önce tamamen ortadan kalkmış olan iç duvarların neredeyse hiç kalıntısı kalmamıştır. Bununla birlikte, dış duvardaki nehre bakan bazı pencerelerin boyutundan, bazı odaların yüksek ve görkemli olduğu ve kalelerde pek rastlanmayan bir ölçekte olduğu anlaşılıyordu. Eski İskoç Baronları. Bir düşmana direnme yeteneği, onlar için ihtişam ya da uyumdan çok daha önemli bir nesneydi. Şapel duvarları hala kabul edilebilir bir şekilde bütündür ve bu nedenle bir zamanlar ne olduğu hakkında bir fikir edinebiliriz. Elli ayak uzunluğundadır ve iç avludan bir dizi güzel sivri pencereyle aydınlatılmıştır, bunların birçoğunun tepesinde oyma kalıntıları hala görülmektedir. Batı ucundaki büyük kule büyük ihtimalle Kale'nin kalesi ya da kalesiydi. İçinde, güzel ve geniş bir manzaraya sahip olan tepeye çıkan merdiven hala oldukça sağlamdır, ancak çıkış tehlikesiz olmadığı için giriş genellikle kilitli tutulur. Dış duvarların çeşitli yerlerinde, eski mülk sahiplerinin bazılarının armaları oyulmuştur: Murray ailesinin aracı, on üçüncü yüzyıldaki Bothwell Lordları ve bir kalp ve üç kefal, Douglasslarınki. , yine de tanınabilir.

Harabeler hâlâ çok geniş olduğu için, Şato'nun mükemmel olduğu zamanlarda çok daha fazla olduğuna inanmak için yer var. Eski duvarların kalıntıları, çevredeki arazinin açılması sırasında defalarca keşfedildi ve bunlar, büyük olasılıkla, dış avluyu savunan ve çevreleyen dış yapı çalışmalarının bir kısmının temelleriydi. Bu kalıntılara özellikle Kale'nin kuzeyindeki, ana girişin olduğu anlaşılan ve nehrin savunması eksik olduğundan sanat yardımının daha gerekli hale geldiği bir alanda rastlanmıştır. Büyük giriş kuzey cephesinin ortasındaydı, ancak duvarın bu kısmı tamamen çöktüğü için görünüşü şimdi tespit edilemiyor. Bununla birlikte, birkaç küçük giriş veya sally limanı hala görülecektir.

Asil mülk sahibi, kalıntıların korunması için en büyük özeni gösterir ve pitoresk güzelliğin bir nesnesi olarak uyandırması gereken hatıralardan bağımsız olarak, Bothwell Şatosu gösterilebilecek her türlü dikkati hak eder. Yine de bazılarının burada şikayet konusu olacağından şüpheleniyoruz, – harabeler ihmal edilmiş değil, pitoresk sevenler için çok fazla ilgilenilmiş. İç avlu, düşen kalıntılardan tamamen kurtulmuş, her taş kaldırılmış ve avlunun yüzeyi, neredeyse modern bir konağın önündeki çimenlik kadar pürüzsüz, çimenlerin içinde tutulmuştur. Bu lezzet kesinlikle tartışılır. Bir harabeyi korumak için her türlü özen gösterilmelidir, ancak muhtemelen onu süslemek, süslemek veya düzenli hale getirmek için ne kadar az özen gösterilirse o kadar iyidir. Düşen kısımlar, genel olarak, tabanlarında şüpheli harabelerde asılı olanlar kadar pitoresk bir ilgi nesnesidir. Ayrıca, yakın çevredeki araziler çok dikkatli tutuluyor. Düzgün çakıllı yol ve pürüzsüz traşlı yeşil, en azından bizim zihnimizde, eski günlerin bu muhteşem, bu eski zamanların onurlandırılmış kalıntısı ile ilişkilendirilmez.

Alacakaranlık korularında Arch & #8217d yürüyüşleri,
Ve sylvan'ın sevdiği kahverengi gölgeler,
Çam veya anıtsal meşeden,

Böyle bir yığının Gotik ihtişamıyla daha iyi ilişkilendirilirdi.

Bununla birlikte, tehlikeye attığımız gözlemlere rağmen, Bothwell Kalesi, güzelliğin yanı sıra her zaman büyük ilgi gören bir nesne olacaktır. Kutsal bölgelerine giremiyoruz ama 'bir aziz tarihe ayak bastığımızı hissediyoruz.' Şimdi fırtınalı havanın yaralarına karşı çıplak duran bu açık avlulara baktığımızda, zihnimiz dolar. eski anılarla. Bothwell, tarihi çağrışımlar açısından zengindir, vatansever ve zalimin isimleri sonsuza kadar onunla birleşmiştir. Burada I. Edward ve tiranlığının araçları, suçlu müzakereler yaptılar ve bu nedenle, baskı yapmak ve yok etmek için ortaya çıktılar. Burada, Wallace'ın en eski ve en değerli yurttaşlarından biri olan ve krallığın hem koruyucusu hem de asil Bruce'un oğlu olan naip oğlu Sir Andrew Murray yaşıyordu. Burada kraliyetin görkemiyle yarışan ve hatta onu sahada sakal bırakan kibirli Douglas'ların görkemi sergilendi.

Kale, biraz doğuda yer alan Bothwell'in modern malikanesini çevreleyen geniş eğlence alanlarının ortasında yer almaktadır. Bu yerdeki manzara herkesin bildiği gibi güzel ve biz ikna olduk, Clyde'da hiçbiri tarafından mükemmel değil. Arazi, özellikle nehre doğru, zengin ağaçlıklarla kaplıdır; bu, burada, etkiye büyük ölçüde katkıda bulunan bazı ince taramalar yapar. Çok sayıda yürüyüş, en üstün güzelliğin sürekli bir ardışık sahnesini sunarak, derenin kıyıları boyunca ormanları keser. Sonbaharda, yapraklar renk değiştirmeye ve çeşitli tonlar almaya başladığında, Clyde'ın bu bölümünün manzarası anlatılamayacak kadar zengindir. Modern ev, dıştan sade ve süslemesizdir, ancak geniş ve ferah bir aile konağıdır. Burada resim koleksiyonu yok ama bazıları çok iyi olan önemli sayıda portre var.

Tarih ve gelenek, Bothwell Kalesi'nin orijinal inşası konusunda sessizdir. Bunun en erken bildiriminin, William de Moravia, Dominus de Bothwell tarafından Dryburgh Rahiplerine bir yazıyla yapıldığı ve bazı sığırların taburcu edildiği söyleniyor. Bruce ve Baliol'un iddialarını yargılamak için Berwick'e çağrılan büyük Baronlardan biriydi. O aradı Panetarius Scotia, 1 yani, Kiler'in bekçisi. Oğlu Sir Andrew Murray, Lord of Bothwell'i tasarladı, bazen hakimiyet de Clydesdale, Wallace'ın en eski yurttaşlarından biriydi ve ona bağlı olan tek güçlü Baron'du. 1297'de Stirling savaşında öldürüldü. Oğlu Sir Andrew, Bruce'un İskoç tacı üzerinde hak iddia etmesi üzerine Bruce'a katıldı ve tüm servet değişikliklerine onunla devam etti. Daha sonra kral Robert'ın kız kardeşi Christian Bruce ile evlendi. David Bruce'un tahta çıkması üzerine, hala onların çıkarlarına sıkı sıkıya bağlı kaldı. 1332'de kralın yokluğu ve azınlığı sırasında Naip olarak atandı. O gerçek bir vatanseverdi ve aday gösterilmesi David'in partisinin ruhunu canlandırdı. Ancak aynı yıl Roxburgh'da Baliol'a saldırdı ve inatçı bir anlaşmazlık yenildikten sonra esir alındı ​​ve İngiltere'ye gönderildi. Fidye alındıktan sonra, 1335'te tekrar Naip olarak atandı. Ölümünden sonra, sorunsuz bir şekilde ölen en büyük oğlu John'un yerine, ölümünde tek bir kızı bırakan kardeşi Thomas geçti.

Detaylandırdığımız dönemin büyük bir bölümünde, Bothwell Kalesi İngilizlerin elindeydi. Edward I. tarafından utanç verici gaspı sırasında, İskoçya'nın güneyinin valisi yaptığı Pembroke Kontu Sir Aymer de Vallance'a verildi. 1307'de Loudon Tepesi'nde Bruce tarafından yenilgiye uğratılan Sir Aymer, Bothwell'e kaçtı. Barbour'un sonraki davranışlarıyla ilgili anlatımı eğlenceli.

Çok saçma,
Ingland hy he gais kadar,
Rycht'ten Kral'a ve dolandırıcı bir şekilde
O, gardiyanını havaya kaldırıyor.”

Kale daha sonra Sir Aymer St. John ve Sir Inghreham Umphraville'in eline geçmiş görünüyor. Onları Şato'ya kadar takip eden Kralın kardeşi Edward Bruce tarafından yenilgiye uğratıldılar. Edward daha sonra mahalledeki tüm sığırların sürülmesine neden oldu, bu da tüm garnizon göz önünde bulundurularak yapıldı. 1314'te Bannockburn'deki yenilgiden sonra, Hereford Kontu Humphrey de Bohun ve diğer birkaç kişi buraya sığınmak için kaçtı. Ancak kısa süre sonra, Earl ve onun içinde güvenlik arayan herkes esir alındığında Edward Bruce tarafından azaltıldı. David Bruce'un azınlığı sırasında, yine İngilizlerin eline geçti. 1335'te Edward III. İngiltere'ye dönüşünde, Baliol'un bir İskoç partisi olan ve daha sonra bir İngiltere Baronu olan Sir John Stirling'i Kalenin valisi olarak atadı. 1336'da İskoçlar tarafından, bazı Fransız yardımcılarıyla birlikte, Mart Kontu, Sir William Keith ve Sir William Douglas altında alındı, ancak kısa süre sonra Edward III'e terk edildi. Orada bir süre ikamet eden ve ondan bir parlamentoyu çağıran yazılar çıkaran. Ertesi yıl, yine Mart Kontu ve Sir William Douglas tarafından azaltıldı.

Bothwell'den Thomas Murray'in kızı Joan Murray, babasının yerine geçerek, Murray'lerin üç kefalini armasına ekleyen ve Kale'yi ikametgahı olarak kabul eden üçüncü Douglas Kontu Grim Archibald ile evlendi. Böylece Bothwell'in Lordluğu, zaten çok güçlü olan Douglas ailesinin zenginliğini ve etkisini artırmaya başladı.

Bothwell'in Lordluğu, 1455'te Kral'ın eline geçtiğinde bu ailenin müsaderesine kadar Douglas Kontlarına aitti. Daha sonra James III tarafından verildi. Lord Bothwell'i yarattığı favorisi Sir John Ramsay'e. James'in en sevdiği kişiler arasında Lauder Bridge'de idamdan kurtulan tek kişi oydu: bunu Kral'ın şahsını ele geçirerek ve atının arkasına atlayarak başardı. Talihsiz hükümdarına olan bağlılığı, daha sonra yasaklanmasına neden oldu. 1488'de IV. James tarafından düzenlenen Parlamento'da kaybedildi. O yıl 8 Ekim'de Edinburgh'da. Lordluk, aynı yıl 13 Ekim'de Patrick Lord Hales'e verildi ve 17 Ekim'de Bothwell Kontu olarak kuruldu. 1492'de, kaleyle birlikte Bothwell'in lordluğunun topraklarını, Liddesdale karşılığında, ancak Bothwell'in üstünlüğü karşılığında, kolej kilisesinin himayesiyle, Douglas hanedanının başka bir kolunun temsilcisi olan Angus Kontu'na devretti. , 1567'de dördüncü Earl James'in müsaderesine kadar Bothwell Kontu ile devam etti. Bu, talihsiz Mary ile evlenen, suçlarının cüretkarlığı ve ihtişamıyla İskoçya'nın yıllıklarında çok ünlü bir şekilde işaretlenmiş adamdı. İskoç Kraliçesi. Kraliçe ile evliliğinin önünü açmak için boşandığı bu cüretkar karakterin karısı Leydi Jean Gordon, 1629'daki ölümüne kadar Bothwell Lordluğu'ndan bir ortaklık yaşadı.

John Stewart'ın en büyük oğlu, Coldinghame'den önce, James V.'nin doğal oğlu Francis Stewart, Hepburn'lerin soyundan geldiği göz önüne alındığında, Bothwell Kontu'nu yarattı ve sahip oldukları çeşitli toprakları ve diğerlerini elinde tuttu, Bothwell'in üstünlüğü. James VI'ya yaptığı haince girişimler için elde edildi. 1593'te. Bothwell Lordluğunun üstünlüğü ve kilisenin himayesi, sonradan Earl'ün damadı Buccleugh'lu Sir Walter Scott'a verildi ve ondan Hamilton Markisi James tarafından satın alındı. Kim 1625'te öldü. O zamandan beri, Bothwell Lordship içindeki toprakların üstleri ve kilisenin patronları olan Hamilton ailesinde devam etti.

Bothwell Lordluğunun toprakları, 1482'de Angus Kontu ile Bothwell Kontu Patrick arasında Liddesdale için yapılan takasın sonucu olarak, Douglas ailesine tekrar girdi. O zamandan beri Douglas ailesinde kaldılar. Angus Kontluğu'nun 1602-3 Şubat tarihli onuncu Earl William'a ait bir tüzüğünde bahsedilmektedir.

Douglas'ın ilk Markisinin oğlu olan Angus Kontu Archibald, 3 Nisan 1651 tarihli patentle Ormond Kontu, Lord Bothwell ve Hartside'ı yarattı, geri kalanı ikinci evliliğinden kalan varislere kaldı. Babasından önce öldü ve Markizliği asla başaramadı. Ormond Kontluğu'nda, ikinci evliliğinden tek oğlu Archibald tarafından başarılı oldu ve yeni bir patent aldı ve onu Forfar Kontu'nu yarattı. Douglas. Oğlu, ikinci Forfar Kontu, 18 Kasım 1715'teki Sherriff-muir savaşında Tuğgeneral olarak görev yaptı ve burada dizinden vuruldu ve on altı başka yara aldı. Unvanı ve mülkleri amcası Douglas Dükü'ne geçtiğinde, 8 Aralık'ta Stirling'de evlendi. Kale ve topraklar böylece yeniden, 1455'te Douglas Kontunun müsaderesinden sonra, ailenin ana kolunu oluşturan şeye geri döndü. Merhum Douglas Dükü'nün ölümü üzerine, araziler ve mülkler, unvanlar olmasa da, mülke katılmasından sonra Lord Douglas olarak yaratılan kadın tarafından yeğeni geç Lord Douglas'a düştü.

Köyün hemen yakınında bulunan Bothwell Kilisesi çok eskidir. 1390'da, Douglas'ların ilki Bothwell Lordluğu'na sahip olan Grim Archibald tarafından bir amir ve sekiz papaz veya prebend için bir kolej kilisesine dönüştürüldü. Bu maksatla kiliseye bir koro katarak, kuruluşa destek olmaya yetecek gelirleri bahşetmiştir. Binanın en eski kısmı, bu zamanda yapılan ilaveden hala kolaylıkla ayırt edilebilmektedir. Bu Earl 1400-1 Şubat'ta öldü ve Bothwell kilisesine gömüldü. Kızı Marjory, aynı yıl, Bothwell kilisesinde, Robert III'ün oğlu İskoçya Prensi Rothsay Dükü ile evlendi. Bu talihsiz prensin mutluluğu ve güvenliği için kötü bir saatte oldu. Hamilton Düşesi Anne'ye verilen 8 Ocak 1665 tarihli bir tüzükle, kilisenin ön büküm ve ön bükümlerinin adı, unvanı ve görevi ortadan kaldırıldı ve hakları ve gelirleri Düşes'e Patrones olarak doğrulandı. 23 Şubat 1672 tarihli William ve Anne, Dük ve Düşes için başka bir tüzükle, kilisenin amirinin adı, unvanı ve görevi kaldırıldı ve Dük ve Düşes'in hakları ve gelirleri onaylandı.

Bothwell Kalesi'nin hemen karşısında, Clyde'ın diğer tarafında, antik Blantyre manastırının kalıntıları hala görülüyor. Nehrin üzerinde yükselen ve manzaranın pitoresk güzelliğine önemli ölçüde katkıda bulunan kayalık bir bankanın zirvesinde oldukça romantik bir durumları var. İskender II tarafından kurulmuştur. Jedburgh manastırından getirilen düzenli kanonlar için. Blantyre manastırının Jedburgh manastırına bağlı olduğu söyleniyor. Eğer kurulduğu dönemde durum böyleyse, 'kesinlikle' diyor Chalmers, 2 Reformasyon dönemine kadar böyle devam etmedi. Bu küçük manastır, parlamentoda sandalyesi olan bir rahip tarafından yönetiliyordu: Çünkü o, 17 Mart 1289-90'da Brigham parlamentosundaydı. “Frere William, priour de Blantyr,” 28 Ağustos 1296'da Berwick'te I. Edward'a bağlılık yemini etti.”

Minto'lu Sir John Stewart'ın oğlu Walter Stewart, kilisenin himayesi ve ondalığı ile Blantyre'nin commendatörü olarak yaratıldı: Ve ayrıca satın alarak Blantyre'nin topraklarını ve baronluğunu ele geçirdikten sonra, sonunda kendisi tarafından bir emsal yaratıldı. 1606'da Lord Blantyre unvanını aldı. Manastırın etrafı güzel ormanlarla çevriliydi ve oraya ait olan, Lord Blantyre'nin bazen orada ikamet ettiği 1702'de verimli olmaya devam eden geniş bir meyve bahçesi vardı.


Bothwell Kontu ve İskoç Kraliçesi Mary

evlilik James Hepburn, Bothwell Kontu 15 Mayıs 1567'de Edinburgh'daki Holyrood Sarayı Şapeli'nde gerçekleşti. Marie Stuart için bu birlik, “Fotheringhay'a Giden Yol'un ilk adımıydı. (Fotheringhay Kalesi, idam yeridir.)

Lord Bothwell, İskoçya Kraliçesi ile evlenmek için karısından boşanmak zorunda kaldı. Jean Gordon. Boşanma, “akrabalık" nedeniyle verildi. Görünüşe göre Bothwell’in atalarından biri bir Gordon ile evlenmişti. Bu bahaneyi bulmak için Bothwell'in danışmanlarının üç kuşak geriye gitmesi gerekti. Bothwell'in büyük büyük büyükannesi söz konusu ataydı. Leydi Jean Gordon, akrabalık temelinde değil, kendi şartlarıyla boşanmayı kabul etti. Bothwell'i Bessie Crawford adında bir hizmetçi kızla zina yapmakla suçladı. Jean'in niyeti, Bothwell'i utandırmak ve utandırmaktı, ancak Bothwell'in yüzsüz, kibirli bir karakter olması, ifşa ve ardından gelen kaçınılmaz dedikodulardan tamamen etkilenmedi. Amacı Kraliçe ile evlenmekti ve buna karşı çıkan herkese meydan okudu. Bazıları nihai hedefinin İskoçya Kralı olmak olduğuna inanıyor.

Doğası gereği Bothwell, Mary'nin tam tersiydi. Kadının terbiyeli, nazik ve iyi konuştuğu yerde, adam kabadayı, kaba, gürültülü ve çatışmacıydı. Bothwell, İskoçya üzerinde güç kazanmak için Mary'yi evliliğe zorlamış olsa da, Mary için hem zayıf hem de olgunlaşmamış ilk iki kocasından daha iyi bir eş olabileceği söylenir. Buna karşılık, Bothwell güçlü, bağımsız bir adamdı, güvenebileceği biriydi. Bu, sürekli olarak kendisine komplo kurulan, dedikodu yapan ve onun dikkatini çekmek için düzenli olarak yarışan kavgacı, kendi çıkarına hizmet eden lordlar ve soyluların sorunlarıyla kuşatılmış bir Kraliçe için bir teselli olmalı.

Sonra Carberry Tepesi Savaşı birbirlerini bir daha göremeyeceklerdi. Edinburgh'un hemen doğusundaki Carberry Hill, Bothwell ve Mary'nin, gücü ve etkisi nedeniyle Bothwell'den nefret eden ve onu Darnley cinayetinden yargılanmak isteyen güçlü soylulara karşı savaşmak için geldikleri yerdi. Ancak, savaş gerçekleşmedi. Bunun yerine, Fransız Büyükelçisi Philibert du Croc müdahale etti. İsyancı ordu liderlerinden barış için aşağıdaki koşulları elde etti:

Mary, Bothwell'den ayrılırsa, asi ordusu Mary'nin “görevli hizmetkarları' olacaktı. Mary'nin cevabı:Büyükelçiye, altı hafta önce Ainslie Tavern'de imzalanan ve bu asi lordlardan bazıları tarafından Bothwell'le evlenmesi için yalvaran imzayı hatırlattı.
İskoçya Kralı'nın (Lord Darnley) öldürülmesine gelince: Bothwell ve şampiyonları arasındaki teke tek dövüşle çözülecek. Bothwell meydan okumayı kabul etti ve Lord Lindsay isyancı tarafın şampiyonu olarak seçildi.

Savaşın koşulları saniyeler içinde tartışılırken, Bothwell'in ordusunun cesaretinin hızla solmakta olduğu ortaya çıktı. Her iki kampın temsilcilerinin karşılıklı görüşmelerinden sonra, hiçbir düello ve savaş olmayacağı belli olmuştu. Daha sonra Kraliçe'ye, Bothwell'in gönderilmesi şartıyla Edinburgh'a güvenli geçiş teklif edildi. Takip edilmeyeceğine dair söz vererek gidecekti. Mary isteksiz Bothwell'i kendi güvenliği için ayrılmaya ikna etti. Bir daha yüz yüze gelmediler.

MEZARLIK Bothwell Kontu James Hepburn Danimarka'da öldü. Sonunda İskoçya'dan kaçarak daha önce ziyaret ettiği bir ülke olan Norveç'e doğru yola çıktı. Daha önceki ziyaretlerinde tanıdığı/ilişkisi olduğu kişilere olan borçlarından dolayı Kopenhag'da hapsedildi. Norveç ve Danimarka Kralı Frederick, uluslararası siyasi manevralarında Earl'ü kullandı, başka bir deyişle, iyi bir pazarlık aracı olacağını düşünerek onu rehin aldı. Bu nedenle, James Hepburn hayatının geri kalanını Nisan 1578'de ölene kadar Kral'ın merhametiyle hapishaneden hapishaneye taşınarak geçirdi. Bothwell şu anda Danimarka, Dragsholm yakınlarındaki Faarevejie Kilisesi'nin mahzeninde yatıyor.

LORD BOTHWELL'İN HAYATI HAKKINDA DAHA DETAYLI BİLGİ VEREN TAVSİYE EDİLEN KİTAPLAR

Lord Bothwell, James Hepburn'ün Yaşamı, Karakteri ve Zamanları Üzerine Bir Çalışma, 4. Bothwell Kontu, 1937, Robert Gore-Brown tarafından

Kraliçe'nin Adamı, James Hepburn, Bothwell Kontu ve Orkney Dükü, 1536-1578, tarafından Humphrey Drummond, 1975

Bothwell Kontu James Hepburn'ün Hayatı, Frederik Schiern, 1863. (Kopenhag Üniversitesi'nde Tarih Profesörü)


Danimarka'daki Dragsholm Kalesi: İskoç Kraliçesi Mary'nin üçüncü kocası olan Bothwell'in 4.

Bothwell'in 4. Kontu James Hepburn, 1573'ten 14 Nisan 1578'deki ölümüne kadar Dragsholm Kalesi'nde hapsedildi. Kalenin tarihini araştırıyoruz ve on altıncı yüzyılda, bir devlet hapishanesiyken orada yaşamın nasıl olacağını keşfediyoruz.

"Kadim, unutulmaz Malikane ne kadar asil ve görkemli görünüyor olmalı. Beyaz badanalı duvarlar dostça bir gülümsemeyle aydınlanıyor (. ).

Ancak, böyle kısacık bir İzlenim üzerine kişinin artık Dragsholm'u bildiğine inanmak yanlış olur. Gülümsemenin arkasında ciddi bir şey yatıyor, duvarların beyaz yüzeyinin arkasında geçmiş çatışma ve yıkımın derin yaraları gizleniyor.

Dragsholm'u hakkıyla tanıyan, uzak geçmişle, onun uğraşları, mücadeleleri ve acılarıyla yüz yüze gelecek ve Orta Çağ onunla en tuhaf anıtlarından birinde buluşacak."

Danske Slotte og Herregaarde (Danimarka Kaleleri ve Malikaneleri), 1944.

Dragsholm Kalesi'nin kökenleri

Dragsholm Kalesi, Odsherred'deki Lammefjord'un kıyısında, Sejerøbugt körfezinin yanında yer alır. Kalenin adı coğrafi konumundan gelmektedir. Vikingler ve onlardan önceki diğer denizciler, Sjællands Odde yarımadasının tam etrafında yelken açmaktan kaçınmayı tercih ettiler ve bunun yerine sürüklenen gemileri karada ve fiyortların sakin sularında.

Viking çağında, Odsherred'i Zelanda'nın geri kalanına bağlayan kara dili, yaklaşık 200 metre genişliğindeydi ve işlevinden dolayı adlandırılmıştı: &ldquoDraugh&rdquo, bir liman yeri. Kale, en eski kaynaklarda bulunduğu yere göre “sürüklenen-yer” veya portage ile isimlendirilmiştir. Biraz daha sonraki kaynaklarda, ad, portage tarafından adacıkta Dragsholm olarak değiştirilir. The islet was located slightly west of the portage in a wet area consisting of lakes and waterlogged meadows. The only access route to the castle, then and now, was from the north.

The original building was a so-called &lsquopalatium&rsquo, or bishop&rsquos palace. There are only a few historical sources for the original Dragsholm, but some traces in the masonry enable a reasonably secure determination of the castle&rsquos year of construction, and its layout. The Bishop of Roskilde, Peder Sunesen (bishop from 1191 to 1214), installed trios of windows in an ambulatory in Roskilde Cathedral of the same kind that can be seen in the now walled-up window in the castle&rsquos south wing.

The bishop visited Tournai in what is now Belgium in the late 1100s, and found inspiration here for the window sections in both Roskilde and the original great hall of Dragsholm Castle. By this means, Gothic inspiration was brought to Denmark &ndash but the semi-circular Roman arches were retained.

The original Dragsholm Castle was built in around the year 1215 by the Bishop of Roskilde and was rebuilt in the 15th century as a Renaissance palace and fortress. Following the Count&rsquos Feud (1534-36) during which Dragsholm was besieged and bombarded for four months by the army of Count Christoffer, the Count lost both the war and the battle against Dragsholm, which was able to withstand the ravages of war, as the only castle in Zealand to do so.

The feud's victor, Duke Christian, was crowned Christian III in 1536. It was he that introduced the Reformation into Denmark in 1536 and confiscated the property of the bishopric Dragsholm became Dragsholm Castle.

A prison

Under the ownership of Christian III, Dragsholm Castle was used as a prison for noble and ecclesiastical prisoners. Among the first prisoners was Roskilde&rsquos last Catholic bishop, Joachim Rønnow, who was kept incarcerated there until his death. There was little hope for anyone imprisoned here during the years of Christian III those who were sent here were considered dead in the eyes of the state, and waited only to die.

The wretched prisoners could not have dreamt of the luxury enjoyed by those who enjoyed the true hospitality of the castle, as one chronicler described:

For while serving as a prison, Dragsholm was also the setting for the fine life of the lord of the estate. The King came to visit, and there were hunting parties in the castle hall, weddings in the chapel, and balls in the Great Hall. The guests ate saddle of venison and drank spiced wine, danced and courted, and if occasionally a half-smothered wail could be heard from behind the walls, it interrupted neither the cheerful laughter nor the tender kisses. It might after all just be a calving cow, or a stallion whinnying in the stables. Dragsholm does not smile again, but it looks like life happiness and wretchedness sleep under the same roof, and in the winter nights the storm rides in from the Kattegat and covers it all, howling in the chimneys, and then it is already out over the wide Lammefjord, and then Lammefjord has already dried out, and the tears have dried away, and what does it matter now who shed tears of joy, and who shed tears of misery?&rdquo

Thorkild Hansen: Jens Munk. 1965 (translation by Dragsholm Castle).

The Earl of Bothwell at Dragsholm Castle

One of the most high profile prisoners was undoubtedly James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, third husband of Mary Queen of Scots. After Mary's abdication, Bothwell fled overseas and ended up in Bergen, as the prisoner of the King of Denmark, Frederik II.

Frederik II was at war, and is torn between his blood ties to Mary Queen of Scots and the need to show loyalty to his Protestant allies. Fortunately for him, the problem solved itself when Mary, held prisoner in England, dissolved her marriage to Bothwell, making him merely a problem to be got rid of from Frederik's perspective.

A dispatch order is the last source we have to Bothwell whilst he was still alive. He arrived at Dragsholm in 1573 and would endure five years of imprisonment for his death:

&ldquoOn 14 April 1578, Bothwell died at Dragsholm. As was customary for state prisoners, his body was carried to the promontory that juts into the fjord a mile or so from the castle and buried at the parish church of Fårevejle. (&hellip) Dragsholm Castle is now a hotel, where Bothwell&rsquos ghost is said to walk at night. Such was the ironic end of a man who altered the course of history and aspired to be buried amongst kings.&rdquo John Guy: My Heart Is My Own. 2004. Reproduced by permission of the HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.

Bothwell's coffin was opened for the first time in 1868 and a very well-preserved body was found, which subsequently rapidly decayed and, for a period of time, until 1973, was open to public viewing under a glass lid. Then, in response to a request from the descendants of the Hepburn family, the newly-crowned Margrethe II had Bothwell buried in a zinc-lined coffin within a sarcophagus of oak, and here he remains.

Other noble prisoners at Dragsholm Castle

Bothwell was not the only nobleman unfortunate to end up in this state prison. Erik Munk was brought here as a prisoner not long after he had been ennobled by Frederik II for his deeds during the Seven-Year War against Sweden. He was renowned as a hard man and was sentenced in 1586 for maltreating his tenants and sent to Dragsholm Castle. He unsuccessfully attempted to escape with one of his fellow prisoners, Eiler Brockenhuus and later wrote several letters in which he pleaded with the king to be released, but without luck. In 1594 he hung himself, and was buried under the gallows, close to the north wall.

Erik Munk&rsquos fellow prisoner and would-be escapee Eiler Brockenhuus, was a landlord of the aristocracy who was accused and convicted of the most bizarre crimes. He killed his mother, had a child with his sister and later killed them both. He then plotted to kill the King and blew up a chimney sweep in an attempt to test the effect of gunpowder in a chimney.

On another occasion he played dead and, to everyone&rsquos horror, rose from the casket in the middle of his funeral. He spendt 25 years as a prisoner at Dragsholm Castle, despite pleading with the king as Munk had done.

Dragsholm Castle in later years

Frederik Christian Adeler and his wife, Henriette Margrethe von Lente, took over Dragsholm Castle in 1694 and turned the Renaissance castle and fortress into a baroque palace and stately home. In 1836, the heiress to the castle, Bertha Henriette Frederikke Løvenskjold, married Georg Frederik Otto von Zytphen. Baron Zytphen-Adeler was an active man and became known as a pioneer in agriculture.

At Dragsholm Castle he focused on the living conditions of the tenant farmers, and experimented with new technology. He and Bertha were ahead of their time, establishing a profit sharing scheme, setting up a kindergarten for the children of their farmers, and introducing steam-powered machinery.

During the 20th century the castle functioned variously as a summer boarding house, a billet for the Danish Resistance Movement and was occupied by German forces in the Second World War. A complete restoration began in 2002 and in 2015, following repair works after a serious fire in 2014, the castle celebrated its 800th birthday with several thousand guests in attendance, followed by being awarded a Michelin star in 2017. In 2018 Dragsholm Castle joined Relais & Châteaux, an association of hotels and restaurants that embraces the elite of the hotel and restaurant world.

daha fazla okuma

Dragsholm Castle today

Today, Dragsholm Castle is a beautifully-restored luxury hotel. You can enjoy a stay at one of Denmark's oldest castle and experience its history for yourself. There are 34 guest rooms and two award-winning restaurants.

The historic building stands in the surroundings of Denmark's only UNESCO-recognised Geopark and is within easy reach of a range of attractions and activities. The team aims to give every guest at Dragsholm Castle a total experience &ndash an experience of the castle as part of Danish history, cultural history and agricultural history.

Find out more on the castle's website.

Teşekkür

With thanks to Dragsholm Castle for their help in the preparation of this history. Images from top copyright Lone Athanasakis Kirstine Fryd Aedler image Dansk Adels Aarbog, 1906.


Undiscovered Scotland

The mighty medieval castle of Bothwell was built on a bluff above a bend in the River Clyde. Construction was started by Walter of Moray some time in the latter half of the 1200s. Invasion and repeated siege meant that the original design of the castle was never completed and what you see today is largely the work of the Earls of Douglas in the years around 1400.

Bothwell Castle is roughly rectangular in shape. Its west end is occupied by the remains of the massive circular donjon or keep. The donjon has been described as The finest piece of secular architecture that the Middle Ages have bequeathed to us in Scotland."

The east end of the castle comprises the great hall and the south east tower. The angle behind the great hall was, until about 1700, home to the north east tower, a large square tower built around 1400 to replace the siege-damaged donjon and considerably taller than the surviving south east tower. Only its base survives.

Walter of Moray's original design for Bothwell Castle can be traced from foundations visible in the grass to the north of the surviving structure. The donjon would have formed one angle of the castle, with circular towers on the site of the south east tower and to the north of the remains of the north east tower. Further north still would have been a strongly defended gatehouse with two circular towers. Curtain walls would have linked together the resulting polygon, producing a magnificent castle occupying an area of over 1.5 acres. (Continues below image. )


The Castle from the South East

In 1296 wider events overtook Walter's son, William Moray of Bothwell. Edward I invaded Scotland (see our Historical Timeline) and captured both William and Bothwell Castle. By this time only the donjon and the neighbouring prison tower had been completed, connected by a short length of curtain wall: what the English captured would have looked a little like a circular tower house.

The Scots besieged the English garrison in Bothwell Castle for 14 months in 1298-9, only taking it when the defenders had succumbed to famine. In August 1301 Edward I came again to Bothwell Castle, bringing an army of 6,800 men and a high siege tower called a belfry, specially constructed to allow attackers direct access to the top of the donjon. The resulting siege lasted little more than three weeks before the English took the castle for the second time.

The English surrendered the castle to the Scots after the Battle of Bannockburn in June 1314, only to retake it yet again in October 1336 when it became the headquarters of King Edward III during his invasion of Scotland. In March 1337 a Scots army under Sir Andrew Murray of Bothwell, whose ancestral home this was, recaptured the castle: though in the process they destroyed the western side of the mighty donjon, leaving it much as you see it today.

By the late 1300s the castle had passed to the Earls of Douglas. They set to work to restore and extend Bothwell Castle, and in the quarter century to 1424 they constructed the north east and south east towers, the range between them including the great hall, and they connected it all together with the curtain walls.

Bothwell Castle was the property of the Crown through much of the 1500s, and in 1669 it passed to the Earls of Forfar. In the late 1600s they abandoned the castle in favour of Bothwell House, a large Palladian mansion built just to the east of the castle. Ironically this suffered from mining subsidence and had to be demolished in 1926, to be outlasted by the castle it replaced.

In 1935 Bothwell castle was placed in the care of the State, and today it is cared for by Historic Environment Scotland.


Önemli gerçekler:

Tarih: 22nd June, 1679

Savaş: Scottish Covenanter Wars

Konum: Near Bothwell, Lanarkshire

kavgacılar: Scottish Government, Covenanter Rebels

Zaferler: Scottish Government

Sayılar: Scottish Government around 15,000, Covenanter Rebels around 3,000

Casualties: Scottish Government negligable, Covenanter Rebels 600

Komutanlar: James Scott, Duke of Monmouth (Scottish Government – pictured at the top of this article), Robert Hamilton (Covenanter Rebels)


Donjon, Prison Tower and Postern with masonry 'junction'

Allan Rutherford and John Malcolm have challenged the accepted chronology for the construction of Bothwell Castle *.

Conventional wisdom (much influenced by Douglas Simpson) holds that the building of Bothwell was interrupted by the outbreak of the Wars of Independence in 1296. All that had been achieved by this date was the Donjon (or Moray Tower) with its northern wing wall and the southern wall as far as the prison tower. The large outer enclosure with its gatehouse and associated wall towers got no further than their base courses.

Bothwell saw much action during the wars with the castle 'repaired' by the English in 1336 only to be destroyed by the Scots in 1337. Bothwell then lay in ruin until 1362 when Archibald Douglas began its reconstruction. Much of what we now see dates from this period.

Is this the true sequence of events? No, according to the authors. They claim that a close examination of the masonry reveals that the 13th C work is not confined to the Moray Tower and its appendages but also to the southern curtain wall as far as the later, 15th C round tower. Further, the lower courses of the square northeast tower also belong to original build. They envisage the outer enclosure fortified by wooden defenses mirroring the projected plan.

Douglas Arms above Postern - inserted?

Simpson had argued that there was a 'masonry junction' immediately to east of the postern gate and that this represented a change from the 13th C wall to that of the 15th. Additionally, the plaque over the postern with the Douglas arms could not be earlier than the reoccupation of the 1360s.

The authors counter (see the attached pictures) stating that the so-called ‘junction’ is, in fact, a frame around the gate and that quoins clearly link this element to the curtain wall running to the east. The Douglas arms are an addition as the 'snecking’ of the masonry surrounding the plaque and its uneven bedding prove.

In conclusion we must now imagine a greatly enlarged Bothwell with the unfinished circuit completed by timber defenses upon the projected foundations.


Her ikisi de

her ikisi de, a village and a parish of N. Lanarkshire. The village stands in the SW corner of the parish, near the right bank of the Clyde, here spanned by a suspension bridge leading to Blantyre Works, and by Bothwell Brig, leading to Hamilton by road it is 2 1/4 miles NW of the latter town, 8 SE of Glasgow, and 36 1/2 WSW of Edinburgh, having stations on branches of the Caledonian and North British, opened in 1877 and 1878. A pleasant, healthy place, commanding charming vistas of Strathclyde, it mainly consists of plain red sandstone houses, studded with villas and cottages-ornées, the summer resorts of Glasgow citizens is lighted by gas and has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, insurance, and telegraph departments, a branch of the Clydesdale Bank, two hotels, and a public library. The parish church here is a fine Gothic edifice built in 1833 at a cost of £4179, and, containing 1150 sittings, uprears a massive square tower to the height of 120 feet E of which tower is the ruined choir of the old collegiate church, an interesting specimen of Second Pointed architecture, measuring 53 1/2 by 21 2/3 feet, and retaining a N sacristy (13 1/3 by 9 5/6 feet), a piscina, 3 canopied sedilia, and monuments to the two Archibald Douglases, Earls of Forfar, the second of whom was mortally wounded at Sheriffmuir (1715). In this old church, founded in 1398 by Archibald 'the Grim,' Earl of Douglas, for a provost and 8 prebendaries, David, the hapless Duke of Rothesay, wedded the founder's daughter, Marjory, in 1400. One of its early provosts was Thomas Barry, who celebrated the victory of Otterburn in Latin verse and in the former manse was born the poetess, Joanna Baillie (1762-1851). The Free church, rebuilt in 1861 at a cost of £3500, is another good Second Pointed structure, with 880 sittings and an octagonal spire, 125 feet high the U.P. church is seated for 360. A public school, with accommodation for 182 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 135, and a grant of £118 15s. Pop. (1861) 1057, (1871) 1209, (1881) 1535.

The parish contains also the towns of UDDINGSTON (1 3/8 mile NNW of Bothwell village), BELLSHILL (2 1/4 NE), and HOLYTOWN (4 1/4 ENE), with portions of CALDERBANK (6 NE) and CLELAND (7 E), and the villages of NACKERTON (2 1/2 N by W), Carnbroe (4 NE), MOSSEND (2 3/4 NE), New Stevenston (4 5/8 E by N), Legbranock (5 3/4 ENE), Newhouse (6 3/4 ENE), CHAPELHALL (6 3/8 ENE) CARFIN (5 1/2 E), and NEWARTHILL (5 3/8 E by N). [Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, Francis H Groome, 1885]

Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, Francis H Groome 1885

Carfin , a collier village in Bothwell parish, NE Lanarkshire, 1 3/4 mile NE of Motherwell, under which it has a post office. At it are a reading-room, St Francis Xavier's Roman Catholic church (1881), and three schools - boys', girls', and Roman Catholic. With respective accommodation for 110, 127, and 193 children, these had (1880) an average attendance of 88, 79, and 263, and grants of £86, 11s., £69, 2s. 6d., and £179, 14s. Carfin House stands 1/2 mile to the S, on the right bank of South Calder Water. Pop. (1861) 1342, (1871) 1111, (1881) 1229.

Calderbank , a large industrial village of NE Lanarkshire, partly in Bothwell but chiefly in Old Monkland parish, on the North Calder Water, 2 miles SSE of Airdrie. It has a post office under Airdrie, a board school, and an Established chapel of ease and at it are situated the iron-works of the Monkland Company, with 6 blast furnaces, 46 puddling furnaces, and 6 rolling mills. The school, with accommodation for 252 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 186, and a grant of £158, 9s. Pop. (1841) 1064, (1861) 2461, (1871) 2176, (1881) 1739.

Chapelhall , a large village in the NE of Bothwell parish, Lanarkshire, near the left bank of North Calder Water, 2 miles NNE of Holytown, and 2 1/2 SE of Airdrie, under which it has a post office. Chiefly dependent on the iron works and collieries of the Monkland Company, it is of recent origin, and consists of well-built houses, nearly one-half of them the property of operatives at it are a Free church, St Aloysius Roman Catholic church (1859), and a public and a Roman Catholic school, which, with respective accommodation for 250 and 249 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 229 and 192, and grants of £199 5s. and £135 8s. Pop. (1841) 1431, (1861) 1990, (1871) 1707, (1881) 1675.

Newarthill , a mining village in Bothwell parish, Lanarkshire, 1 3/4 mile E by S of Holytown, and 3 miles ENE of Motherwell. Standing amid a rich mineral tract, it has a post office under Motherwell, a UP church (1810 600 sittings), and a public school. Pop. (1841) 968, (1861) 1382, (1871) 1530, (1881) 1355. - Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

A topographical dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis, 1846

Bellshill, a village, in the parish of Bothwell, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 1 1/2 mile (E.) from Bothwell containing 1013 inhabitants. It lies on the great road from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and the hill from which it is named attains an elevation of 372 feet above the sea: the population partake in the manufactures of the parish. There is a post-office, also a Relief meeting-house, and two schools.

her ikisi de, a parish, in the Middle ward of the county of Lanark including the villages of Bellshill, Chapelhall, Holytown, Newarthill, and Uddingston and containing 11,175 inhabitants, of whom 570 are in the village of Bothwell, 8 miles (S. E.) from Glasgow. The name is supposed, by some, to be derived from Her ikisi de, an eminence, and wall, a castle, terms applied to the parish from the elevated situation of Bothwell Castle above the river Clyde others derive it from two Celtic words, ikisi birden, signifying a dwelling, and ael, veya hyl, a river, as descriptive of the castle in its contiguity to the river. This extensive barony, in the reign of Alexander I., was held by Walter Olifard, justiciary of Lothian, who died in 1242 it afterwards came into the possession of the family of Moray, consisting, at that date, of a tower and fortalice, with their appurtenances, and of lands in various districts, constituting a lordship. In the time of Edward I. of England, it became a place of great importance, and it appears that that monarch resided in the castle from the 17th to the 20th September, 1301 in this reign, also, it was the residence of Aylmer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, who fled hither from London Hill, where he had been defeated by Wallace, in 1307, and who, in 1309, was made governor of the castles of Selkirk and Bothwell. At the time of the battle of Bannockburn, Sir Walter Fitzgilbert, ancestor of the Hamilton family, was governor, and after the death of Bruce, when Edward III invaded Scotland, in 1336, the king was at the castle from the 18th November till the 13th December, in the course of which time fifteen writs were issued thence, in his name. It came, at length, to the Earl of Bothwell, from whom it descended to Archibald the Grim, Earl of Douglas and, after passing through many other hands, it reverted to the ancient family of Douglas in 1715. The collegiate church of Bothwell was founded on the 10th October, 1398, in the reign of Robert II., by the first earl of Douglas, for a provost and eight prebendaries, and was richly endowed. Most of the superiorities, with part of the property, and all the tithes, now belong to the Duke of Hamilton. Bothwell-Bridge, in the southern part of the parish, is celebrated in history for the battle fought there, in 1679, between the Covenanters and the Duke of Monmouth and at a little distance, is Bothwell-Haugh, formerly the property of James Hamilton, who shot the regent Murray, for confiscating a part of his estate, and the barbarous treatment of his wife, on account of his having espoused the cause of Mary, Queen of Scots.

The parish is, in extreme length, about 8 1/2 miles, and varies in breadth from 2 to 4 miles, containing 13,600 acres it is bounded on the north and west by the North Calder, and on the south, by the South Calder and the river Clyde. It is comprehended by the elevated ground running along the north-eastern bank of the Clyde from Lanark to near Glasgow, which range, however, recedes from the river in traversing this district, and leaves an intermediate plain, till it again inclines to the stream in the neighbourhood of Bothwell-Bridge. Near this it forms a piece of table-land of about one mile in extent, running to the westward, at the head of which are situated the church and village, about 130 feet above the level of the sea, and commanding a beautiful view, to the east, of the vale of Clyde. From the eastern boundary of the parish, the land falls rapidly to a distance of nearly four miles, after which a flat succeeds, of about equal length, declining southward towards the Calder and Clyde, and the western extremity of this tract sinks gradually into the extensive plain on, which Glasgow is situated. The Clyde, the chief river, enters the parish at Bothwell-Haugh, and forms a majestic stream, the banks of which are famed for their diversified and picturesque scenery it is 120 yards broad at Blantyre-Works, but at Bothwell-Bridge contracts itself to a span of 71 yards. The North and South Calder, after running separately for about 15 miles, form each a confluence with the Clyde they flow between banks of sandstone rock, beautifully abrupt in many parts, and affording well-wooded and romantic scenery. Of these rivers, the Clyde, once so celebrated for the abundance of its salmon, has now greatly fallen off in this respect, very few fish comparatively visiting it, owing to many causes, one of the most considerable of which is said to be the impediment presented to their progress by the dam thrown over the river between Blantyre Mill and Bothwell.

The prevailing soil is clay, resting upon a tilly subsoil, and is frequently, and in various proportions, mixed with loam and sand in some places it consists of fine light mould, and in the vicinity of the rivers is a fertile alluvial deposit. The whole land is productive, with small exceptions of moss and moor two-fifths are in pasture, and grain of all kinds, and of good quality, is raised potatoes, turnips, peas, &c., are also cultivated in considerable quantities, with some flax, though this last is not grown so largely as formerly. Very great attention is given to dairy-farming, there being no less than 1000 cows kept, most of which are native varieties of the Ayrshire breed the horses are in general likewise of a good stock. The rateable annual value of the parish is £35,207. The predominating rock is the red sandstone, which lies over the whole coal-bed in this district, at a distance of twenty or thirty fathoms above the coal it is bright in. colour, and, though sometimes soft and friable, generally well adapted to buildings. There are several quarries of good freestone near the Clyde, of a red colour and in the upper parts of the parish, white freestone is found. Coal abounds in every direction, and four large seams from which it is chiefly procured, extend throughout the parish, in which the Ell-coal, Pyotshaw, main, and splint coal succeed each other, the last being best suited for the smelting of iron, the average amount of coal obtained, in value, is estimated at £80,000 annually, and of ironstone and other minerals, £20,000.

The chief mansion is Bothwell Castle, a simple, yet commodious residence, built of the same red sandstone as the old castle, and consisting of an extensive front and two wings the apartments are ornamented with several excellent portraits. The grounds are elegantly laid out, and the neighbouring scenery, comprising the waters of the Clyde and its picturesque banks, is ennobled by the ancient and venerable ruin of the old castle. The mansion of Woodhall, on the bank of the North Calder, is a spacious building in the style of the age of Louis XIV. valuable pictures adorn some of the apartments, and the entrance-hall contains several French cuirasses and helmets of brass, brought from the field of Waterloo. The mansions of Cairnbroe and St. Enoch's Hall, both on the North Calder Cleland, Carfin, Jerviston, and Douglas Park, are all superior residences, standing in the midst of interesting scenery and Bothwell Park, a handsome commanding mansion, has a fine view of the fertile haughs of Hamilton, and of the vale of Clyde. The principal manufactures of the parish are those of pig-iron and steel, the former of which is produced at the Monkland Company's works at Chapelhall, to a great extent about 100 tons of steel are manufactured annually, 30 tons of which are made into files, and upwards of 700 persons are employed at the works. Other similar works are carried on in the parish, of less importance. Post-offices are established at Bothwell, Bellshill, and Holytown, and the Glasgow and Edinburgh coaches, and the Hamilton, Lanark, and Strathaven coaches, pass through the parish the Glasgow and Carlisle mail traverses the same road, and the Wishaw and Coltness railroad intersects the parish, and affords great facilities.

The ecclesiastical affairs are subject to the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr the stipend of the minister is £282 14s 8d, with a good manse, and a glebe valued at £36 per annum patron, the Duke of Hamilton. The church, which is a superior building, in the pointed style of architecture, opened in 1833, extends 72 feet by 45, and contains 1200 sittings the cost of the building was £4200, and it has a good bell, provided by the parish, at an expense of £150, and a clock which cost £133, raised by voluntary subscription. A church has been erected at Holytown, late a quoad sacra parish and there is a Relief meetinghouse at Bellshill also a meeting-house at Newarthill, belonging to the United Secession. The members of the Free Church have likewise a place of worship. Three parochial schools are supported, situated respectively at Bothwell, Holytown, and Newarthill, the master of the first of which has a house, and a salary of £34 4s 4d, with £70 fees the others have £8 11s each: the classics, mathematics, and all the usual branches of education are taught. The chief relic of antiquity in the parish is the magnificent ruin of the ancient castle, situated near the modern castle, on the summit of a verdant slope, in the midst of beautiful woods and pleasure-grounds. The old church which was originally the choir of the collegiate church (the most famous of the five collegiate churches in Lanarkshire), is a very fine specimen of ancient architecture it was built about 1398, and disused as a church in 1828. Bothwell bridge is of great antiquity, though the age is not precisely known it originally consisted of four arches, each spanning 45 feet, and measuring 15 feet in breadth, but it has been considerably enlarged, within these few years, by which an additional width of road is obtained. There is another bridge, supposed to be of Roman construction, across the South Calder, consisting of one arch of semicircular form, high and narrow, without parapets it is supposed to have been on the line of the great Roman Watling-street, which ran through this part of the country, on the north-east bank of the Clyde. Chalybeate springs are very numerous in the district, and many of them are strongly sulphuretted. The celebrated Joanna Baillie was born in the manse, during the incumbency of her father, the Rev. James Baillie.

Chapelhall , a village, in the late quoad sacra parish of Holytown, parish of Bothwell, Middle ward of county Lanark containing 1431 inhabitants. This village is chiefly inhabited by persons employed in the collieries and mines in the immediate vicinity, and in the extensive iron and steel works of the Monkland Company, which have been long established in the neighbourhood. There is a place of worship for members of the United Associate Synod and schools for the instruction of children are supported by the proprietors of the several works.

Holytown, lately a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Bothwell, middle ward of the county of Lanark, 11 miles (E. by S.) from Glasgow containing, with the villages of Chapelhall and Newarthill, 8169 inhabitants, of whom 900 are in the village of Holytown. This district is situated in a part of the county abounding with coal and ironstone, both of which are wrought to a very great extent. The collieries comprise all the various seams, and not less than from twenty to thirty are in operation the ell coal, the nine feet, and the splint coal are found in abundance in the mines of Chapelhall. On the Woodhall estate, ironstone, of good quality, principally that called the black band, is plentiful and it is wrought at Calderbraes, near the village of Holytown, and at Greenside, near Newhouse. The Monkland Iron and Steel Company have extensive works near Chapelhall, in which are three blast-furnaces, making together about 1440 tons of pig-iron monthly, and six others producing 2880 tons : in the same establishment are mills and forges in which 400 tons of malleable iron are manufactured weekly. Some works at Cairnbroe, also, belonging to a firm, contain six blast-furnaces, yielding 600 tons of iron per week and two more furnaces are in contemplation. About one hundred tons of steel are made by the Monkland Company annually, of which thirty tons are wrought into files and about sixty tons of scrap iron are collected by them monthly, and manufactured into engines for steam-boats and other purposes. In the company's works more than 2400 persons, including miners, are constantly employed and the average annual amount of the produce of the various iron-works in the district is estimated at £676,000.

Among the principal mansions are, Woodhall, an ancient house in good preservation Cleland House, a handsome modern mansion, beautifully situated on the South Calder Carfin and Jerviston, both on the banks of the same river and Lauchope House, an elegant mansion recently erected, and tastefully embellished. The village is on the great road from Edinburgh to Glasgow, and the district is intersected by the roads from Stirling to Carlisle, and from Edinburgh to Ayr and Hamilton it is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in the collieries and iron-works. The post has a daily delivery and facility for the conveyance of the produce of the several works is afforded by the Wishaw and Coltness railway, which joins the Garnkirk line at Gartsherrie, and by the Monkland canal. The late quoad sacra parish of Holytown was about four miles in length, and of nearly equal breadth, comprising an area of 12,000 acres, of which one-half are arable, and of the remainder, about one-third woodland and plantations, and two-thirds meadow and pasture. The soil is a cold and tenacious clay, difficult to work, but, from the improved state of husbandry, producing favourable crops, though not more than sufficient for the supply of the population. The ecclesiastical affairs are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. A preaching station was for some time established in the district, which, within the last few years, has been replaced by the erection of a handsome church, containing 830 sittings. The minister derives his stipend, £80, from the seat-rents and collections, under the patronage of the male communicants. There is a place of worship for the United Associate Synod. District parochial schools are supported by small endowments, in addition to the fees five schools are maintained by the parties connected with the several works, in which more than 1000 children receive instruction and three more are about to be erected by subscription. There are also eight Sabbath schools and to those of Holytown, Newarthill, Chapel-hall, and Cairnbroe, libraries are attached.

Newarthill, a village, in that part of the parish of Bothwell which formed the late quoad sacra parish of Holytown, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 1 1/4 mile (S. E. by E.) from Holytown containing 968 inhabitants. This village is situated south of the post-road from Edinburgh to Glasgow., in the heart of a district abounding with coal and ironstone and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in collieries, and in the iron and steel works which are carried on in the immediate vicinity. Schools are supported by the proprietors of the works, for the instruction of the children of their workmen and to most of them are attached libraries of useful books.

Uddingston, a village, in the parish of Bothwell, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 1 mile (N. W. by N.) from the village of Bothwell containing 705 inhabitants. It is situated in the western part of the parish, on the eastern bank of the Clyde, and on the high road from Carlisle to Glasgow, from which latter place it is distant east-south-eastward about seven miles. The population consists of weavers and agriculturalists, and a few persons engaged in handicraft trades : several of the villagers are employed on the estate and grounds of Lord Douglas, in the vicinity. Uddingston has considerable repute for the manufacture of Wilkie's plough, now used in the best cultivated districts of Scotland, and in many parts of England, on account of its lightness, acute angle, and manageable form, it is wholly constructed of iron, and many thousands are exported, some, among other places, to the West Indies.


Videoyu izle: Türkiyenin En Görkemli Kaleleri, TURKEYS 13 BEST CASTLES, Turkey Promotion Film (Ocak 2022).